Walker Diesel or 26 H.P. EFI

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tglasslawncare, Nov 12, 2007.

1. tglasslawncare

tglasslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Can anyone give me advice on which Walker mower is better for picking up leaves or mowing damp grass? The Diesel or 26 H.P. EFI. I bought a used diesel but was wondering if the 26 H.P. would have more suction power. I am new to Walker. Maybe there is no difference. I would appreciate any advice. Thanks

2. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

i'm told the rpms are lower on the diesel's so that would turn everything a little slower. they sold and still sell a lot of diesel's so if you are having suction trouble it could be a worn blower belt, a worn out blower fan or a hole somewhere not allowing decent suction. could also be the rpm's need to be adjusted.

3. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

Gas is better because higher engin RPM will spin blades faster.

4. Galashiels

Galashiels LawnSite Member

Everthing else being equal there will be no difference in diesel or gas.
    The engine, a kubota D722 is rated at 3600 RPM the same as the 26efi so that the blade speed and blower speed is the same in the two models.
    Check the blower for wear.
    The new 10.5" blowers make a huge difference picking up wet grass (as in raining) no trouble.
    The diesel is heavier than the gas so not quite so responsive on the turns.

5. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

What year did they change the RPM's on the diesel?

6. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I never owned a Walker diesel but I do own a 26efi. As for doing leaves I would think the EFI is better because the diesel has a radiator that can get plugged with debris.
    Now on to your problem with vacuum. Very good advice above but you also have to check that your screen in the catcher is clean. When the holes are plugged the air that is sucked in has nowhere to exhaust and it has to do something so you get less vacuum. Just get in the practice of cleaning it off everytime you dump. The Walkers vacuuming strength is better at low deck heights but with leaves I still get great results when I angle the deck for heavy cover and then come back later at a level low height to really make it look nice. Good Luck. Clean that screen.

7. 2 clowns mowing

2 clowns mowing LawnSite Senior Member

my 20mt with 42" deck and large blower picks up leaves and mows wet grass with no problems

8. tallimeca

tallimeca LawnSite Bronze Member

blade and blower speed are achieved with pulley/belt ratios. I could have an engine running 2k rpms and still run the machine. Load performance would be different.

Also, when choosing an EFI or Diesel, keep in mind that neither are engines the average guy can or should work on.

Not like taking the carb apart and blowing it out and emptying the water.......

9. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

hey mow ed.. walker has a reversing module on their radiator fan that reverses the fan direction to self clean the radiator screen every so often. it worried me when i first got mine then i read up on it and watched it in action. strange watching dormant clippings and leaves just suddenly falling to the ground!

10. Galashiels

Galashiels LawnSite Member

Not sure if they did but the earlier diesels were only 16 hp.
    Good advice on the screen I use a 'winter' screen all year as it has bigger holes and dosen't clog so easily.