Walker diesel problem....

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by JJ Lawn, Dec 13, 2005.

1. JJ Lawn

JJ Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

My son has a diesel Walker, that is giving him fits in the morning. It will not start. He follows the starting instructions to a tee....but no go. That is until it warms up a bit, around 9 or 10 am. Then after that it will start with no problems until ther end of the day. Then next morning......will not start.

I also have a diesel Walker, but mine will fire off first thing every morning just like clockwork.

I really know nothing about diesel engines so am not able to help him.

He has replaced the fuel pump, filters are clean, and he even drained the fuel tank and filled with fresh fuel.

Any ideas of what could be causing this problem?

2. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I assume that has a glow plug/preheater setup. I bet his glow plug/preheater is not kicking on to preheat the engine.

3. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Yes, as mowing man said, if he has glowplugs then they are not working on all cylinders. A way to check them is to remove the plugs, get a car/truck battery even if still in the vehicle, get a set of jumper cables. Clam positive cable to the end of glowplug, negative to the threaded body of the plug. If the plug is good, the tip turns bright red, if bad, nothing and you will be able to touch with fingers. Hope this helps.

4. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

He may have a blown fuse or something and isn't getting any power to the glow plugs.

5. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

I have a 1997 Diesel Walker with the same problem, around 3000 hours. I have replaced every thing related to starting. Over 50 deg it starts fine, under 50 deg I set a 150 watt flood light on top of the engin to warm it up. This is in my garage. Once I get it started in cold weather I leave it running all day. My buddy has a Grasshopper mower with less than 800 hours with the same problem. My dealer now thinks it might have low compression. Its going in the shop for service soon.

Gene

6. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

The Walker Diesel has a "cold weather" lever on the back of the unit. This releases the pump drive belt and helps starting in cold weather. You just flip the lever down and it releases the belt and after you get it started you just flip the lever back up. It really helps a lot. Most people have seen the lever a 1000 times and do not know what it is for. This may help your problem.

7. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

Walker cold weather start lever

lever.JPG

8. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

I use it all the time when its cold. It helps but something else is causing my problem.

9. JJ Lawn

JJ Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks fixer,

I am aware of the lever.... does not help with my problem.

Going to check the glow plugs this weedend.

10. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

What did you find out?