Walker Drive Easy/Hard

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Wilson Edge, Feb 13, 2008.

1. Wilson Edge

Wilson Edge LawnSite Member

Hey everyone. I was looking at the walker design and it seems that you have your right hand on a speed lever and then your left on the turning controls......Is this an easy way to drive the machine.....all the zero turn devices that i have ever driven have just been the 2 drive levers and the more you push them forward the faster you go and...well you get the idea....but any way im just wondering if it is a practicle way for the walker mower to be driven....is it easy to use and if im used to the described way of a zero turn mower will i be able to drive the walker....i plan on test driving one soon but there has been over a foot of snow on the ground and we just got about another 6-8 inches.....let me know what you guys think

2. DLAWNS

DLAWNS LawnSite Fanatic

I think it's easy. You just have to get used to it.

3. grapeford

grapeford LawnSite Member

I've been using Walkers since 1994. You use your left hand *(all your fingers)
    to control the steering, and your right to control the speed. You also pull back with your left hand for reverse L/R. You'll pick it up in 30 minutes, and be an expert by noon. IMHO, there's nothing better.

4. SpruceLandscape

SpruceLandscape LawnSite Senior Member
    from ohio

I first started out on a conventional ZTR, but picked up the walker in no time. Toughest thing was learning how NOT to make it buck like a mule :hammerhead:LOL Good luck

5. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

If you have spent a lot of seat time on typical 'ztr' mowers than the Walker controls Do take a little getting used too. Your brain wants to push one forward when turning while pulling the other, and if you are crusing along and you want to speed up you will likely jamb them forward to go faster, which will do nothing. Also, if you are used to the general length and operation of a midmount, again, the Walker will take some adjustment time. Plan on hitting things with the hopper... But that's why they put those nice rubber wheels on the corners!

When I first demoed one 6 some years ago I hated it... Then a year later I bought one, lol. THen I still decided I didn't like it because it just didn't fit my needs at the time, ended up selling it about 7 months after I had bought it. Then 3 years ago I bought a used 36" MS for backyards and small lawns. LOVE IT! Don't know how anyone could run a lawn service without one. Then this past fall I bought another MT 48" used. Now I have a real use for one in my business, I will likely use it for a year and then upgrade to a new one.

And I'm still not an expert at running them! I watch some of the guys that run them all day, every day, and they can make them go up and down slopes that mine laughs at with me on it!

6. SpruceLandscape

SpruceLandscape LawnSite Senior Member
    from ohio

One more thing... making a 3 point turn is critical with these! And as mentioned earlier it will take time to be able to judge exactly where your hopper is when turning so practice in some open areas for a while. I got stuck in the corner of a fence with mine for about 20 minutes when I first started because I wasn't used to the hopper swinging out :hammerhead:

7. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

I'll never own a walker, but can't help but be impressed by the original design and cut.

8. Turf Dawg

Turf Dawg LawnSite Gold Member

I purchased one last Feb. and love the controls. As a matter of fact I wished all my machines had this type of steering controls. As a matter of fact I can turn this faster than my z's. I do not do a 3 point turn because with just alittle fingertip pressure both tires are going different directions. I still stink on slopes though.

9. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

One easy machine to operate. now if you looking for speed than there are lot faster mowers out there.

10. zak406

zak406 LawnSite Bronze Member

I picked up on the walker/navigator controls faster than i picked up on a midmounts controls best of luck