1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Walker Edger

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mowing Freak, Mar 28, 2005.

1. Mowing Freak

Mowing Freak LawnSite Senior Member
    from S.E. Ks

I am thinking about getting the edger attachment for my Walker mower and was wondering if anybody has one or has had any experience with one. The only info I can find from dealers is, they are good for already established edges. I want to know from somebody who uses one or has demo'ed one. Basically, is the trim job comparable with a weed eater. I have an edgit but want something to speed things up a little. The threads I found on the Walker edger are old so need some updated info. Thanks
  2. Mowing Freak

from S.E. Ks

3. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm kinda wondering the same thing about the edger that Grasshopper has! (hopefully i don't hijack!)
  4. shearbolt

shearbolt LawnSite Member

I have one. I don't use it anymore because It's hard to mow with it. I have edgits and my trim guys just use those. If you mow and trim your self and don't like to edge and you have lots of edging I guess I would recommend it. It works well as long as an edge is already established.
  5. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I am a Grasshopper dealer, and also do contract mowing for our City. The City Parks Dept. bought 2 Grasshopper edgers last year, and loves them.
    I just bought one for my mowing crew and got it last Friday. I used it yesterday for the first time on a mile of sidewalk that had new sod on both sides. This sod overlaped the concrete so that a stick edger was useless. After a little practice, I was able to move along at a pretty fast pace and it cut a nice wide, deep groove into the soil along the walk. We will not have to edge again for a few weeks, then we can easily do it with a stick edger. I plan on using this big edger about once/month, so that the edging will be minimal the rest of each month. Going to try it out on 3 miles of highway medians next week. It is very heavy and well built. Email me if you have questions.
    As to the Walker edger. I thought of buying one for my Walker a few years ago, but never did it. I did get to see one at the local dealers once. It was very well built, and looked like it would work well. I did not get to try it out.
  6. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Mowing Freak, I have not used one, but I was curious if you are planning on using this for residential mowing or do you have a VERY long curb to edge? I could see some definite benefits using something like this on commercial properties.
  7. bushtrimmer

bushtrimmer LawnSite Senior Member

I have the walk behind version and it's been sitting in the shop for a couple years collecting dust. It seems like it's real wet in the spring when we're prepping for mulch and the top part of the blade tends to get clogged up. My landscapers find it easier to spade the edges.
  8. Mowing Freak

from S.E. Ks

Walker Talker last Nov I broke my ankle on my Walker and I wish I could have got my Walker in the house then I could have used a Walker while I healed...Ha! Ha!. After this incident I've noticed I walk a little slower while this thing heals so I am mainly wanting to save a little time. I do edge most of my properties which are residetials so will be a lot of side walks and drives. No real long stretches except for one or two. We do have an edgit which works great. I want to save some walking time for now, but also want the edges to look good.
  9. Mowing Freak

from S.E. Ks

Any more ideas?
  10. rgjlawn

rgjlawn LawnSite Member
    from midwest

we also have the bed shaper your guys must not know how to operate it because ours kicks a##.