Walker Electrical Problems

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by daveslandscaping, Aug 31, 2005.

1. daveslandscaping

daveslandscaping LawnSite Member

Bought a 1992 walker MC with no motor 2 years ago. Bought a new motor for it and installed it with no unexpected issues. Mower worked great the last 2 years, but this summer started giving me trouble. PTO will shut off in the middle of cutting or sometimes not turn on. Sometimes mower will not start. Did some investigating, found that there was a red wire that melted out of the wiring harness that plugs into the ignition switch. This wire is attached to the positve battery lead on what i think is the starter solenoid, then goes to a fuse and then to the starter. I cut out the wire and ran a thicker guage wire from the fuse to the starter. Had no problems for a few hours of cutting until the insultation started to cook off the wire. The terminal on the ingnition that this wire hooks up to is the only one that is rusty (maybe from the heat...dont kno). I was going to by a new harness but i am worried it is just going to cook it again. Could this be because all the safety's are disconnected ( like do they cause extra resistance driving the current down and therefore the heat). Is it maybe a problem with the ignition switch? Any one have any ideas or any experience like this? Thanks for any help.

2. daveslandscaping

That red wire runs to the ignition switch, not the starter.

3. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

This is a pretty common occurrence, It has nothing to do with the safety switches being disconnected. It's the combination of heat and moisture on the switch that makes that one post rust. when the rust forms it causes a high resistance connection. I wouldn't worry about replacing the whole harness unless it's melted beyond repair, Just replace the ignition switch AND the connector on that post and run the original size wire back down to the solenoid. It wouldn't be a bad idea to put some nygel or dielectric grease on these connections, It would help in the long run.

4. Restrorob

Kinda figured that. LOL

5. Restrorob

Btw, Given the fact the wire melted, The contact inside the switch is most likely burnt and just cleaning the rust off that post wont work.

6. daveslandscaping

Rob, so are you saying the ignition switch blew first and is in turn causing the wire to overheat? Fix sounds easy enough. Thanks for the help.

7. daveslandscaping

nm, after thinking about it some more i guess you are saying the heat of the engine bay led to rust, which led to higher resistance, which lead to more heat, which led both ignition switch blowing and the wire melting. Thanks again.

8. Restrorob

I guess you could say that, The rust on that post is more than likely what started the problem.

9. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member