Walker electricial

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by blimpguy, Dec 2, 2006.

1. blimpguy

blimpguy LawnSite Member

I picked up a 97 walker to relist. When I put a fresh battery on it, it turned over the second i put the positive lead to the bat. I even unpluged the starting panel and got the same result. I looked in the wiring harness and found one wire that had come loose and repaired it. I can attach the battery, but now I have no power reading on the gauge. I've jumpered all the deadmans and still nothing. Is this a relay problem somewhere ?

Tks
    Jeff

2. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

sounds like the starter solenoid is stuck. Or someone hooked the battery cable and starter cable on the solenoid together. Or it could be the key is stuck in the crank position. Unplug the ignition switch to eliminate that.

3. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

More likely the start relay is stuck. It is a black box looking thing about 1 inch square mounted just behind the blower box above the starter. Walker part number 6941. To check the starter solenoid to see if it is what is stuck unplug the small wire on the starter. This is the trigger lead. If the starter does not run then the starter solenoid is not the problem. If it does run even with the trigger lead unplugged then the starter solenoid is what is stuck. I worked on Walkers every day so feel free to ask me any more questions on them.

4. blimpguy

blimpguy LawnSite Member

Thanks fixer,

I'll give that a shot, I was wondering what that was for. It's in pretty rough shape and is falling apart ( the black box ). I unpluged it and the contacts looked pretty good. The red wire coming out of the molex is what i replaced and had to resolder back in the molex plug. Once i did that I got nothing, before I did that the starter turned over when I put power to the system.
    What are the 2 black boxes for that are behind the battery ?

Tks again,

Jeff

5. blimpguy

blimpguy LawnSite Member

The fuse wire came apart in my hand when I went to remove that pos wire form the starter. I'll replace that today, but I still got nothing. For a short time I was gettting power to the gauge, i'd turn the key and it would indicate 12 volts, but the starter would not engage. I'm going to open the harness up more today and look for damaged wire under the protective wrap.

Jeff

6. fixer67

Go to the Walker web site and get you a wiring diagram. That may help. You need to give more infor for me to help you more. I need to know the model , year and serial. That is on the metal tag beside the seat on the panel side.

7. blimpguy

blimpguy LawnSite Member

The model is MTGHS

SN# 29621

I have the book on the machine- I'll look at the wiring more tonight. It's almost acting like a bad ground.

Jeff

8. fixer67

The ground speed interlock switch may be out of adjustment or the PTO switch my be sticking. They stick on that model and do not pop back out all the way when they get dirty. May sure the PTO switch is out all the way. You may need to take some needle nose pliers and pull the plunger out all the way to be sure. If the ground speed switch is not working or the PTO switch is sticking the voltage meter will work and low warning buzzer will sound but it will not start. I would start with those two items first after checking the fuses. Some early units had a manual reset circuit breaker mounted at the battery. All breakers mounted at the battery now are auto reset type. Now on units that have panel mount circuit breaker, check to make sure they have not tripped. Somethings they will trip but not pop out all the way so push them any way just to be sure they are set. Some EFI units came out with a 5 AMP panel mounted breaker that had to be replaced with a 7 AMP breaker because it would slow cook and trip without popping out.