walker emergency brake

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by ferris hilton, Oct 17, 2007.

1. ferris hilton

ferris hilton LawnSite Member

how hard is it to fix the emergency brake on the walkers, and does anyone know what the parts might cost?

2. mcambrose

mcambrose LawnSite Senior Member

Usually you just have to either adjust the brake cables or replace them. I have never had one with a broken pin.

3. tomo

tomo LawnSite Senior Member

hello, both cables -replace ,they get very dirty internally and bind up
    Next pull both handbrakeplunger mechanisms out of the respective reduction boxes .
    CAUTION pull plunger pin out of the bottom of the large nut .Pulling it thru the top if it has burrs on the end will cause scratches deep enough to cause a oil leak later on . Replace both pins with new o rings .[the pins r wedge shaped and unless at the proper angle will not engage the gear teeth very well . ]

tomo

4. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

Warning=THE BRAKE ON A WALKER IS NOT AN EMERGENCY BRAKE. IT IS A PARKING BRAKE ONLY. A STEEL PIN DROPS INTO THE DRIVE GEARS WHICH JAMS THE GEAR WHICH PREVENTS IT FROM TURNING. IF YOU ENGAGE THE PARK BRAKE WHILE IN MOTION YOU CAN DESTROY THE FINAL DRIVE ASSEMBLY.

I have seen it happen.

5. mcambrose

mcambrose LawnSite Senior Member

a brake on one side of my walker wouldn't engage. I checked the cable and it was good, so I removed the pin. It was rounded on the end. I took the other side out to compare and the one which wasn't working was too worn. I removed it from the nut by removing the pin. It ground it down to match the other side and it worked good. I think someone put the brake on one time when the mower was moving.Luckily it only damaged one side.