walker eng. replace.

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by ACA L&L, Nov 13, 2007.

1. ACA L&L

ACA L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

We have a walker 20 hp 99 mtgs i believe
    eng. has blown a rod? no compression on front cylinder. any way a new kohler is 1600. any one know of another compatible engine for the walker?
    not having any luck, thought i would throw this one out to the pros. rebulid is possible if nothin is broke but i think new is where we want to go.

2. ACA L&L

not enuff info or none has any clue?

3. Lawdog302

Lawdog302 LawnSite Member

Kohler is your best option as a replacement. You can replace the engine with anything from a 18hp-25hp command. Check prices on models, maybe there is a deal on one over the other. BTW the 18 and the 20 are the same engine. There is a throttle stop screw on the 18 that limits throttle to 3/4. Remove the screw and you now have the 20.
    18HP spec 62623
    20HP spec 64660
    23HP spec 76634
    25HP spec 68544

4. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Well, I'm not familiar with Walkers. From what I have read some have a stub shaft off the flywheel side and no shaft on the other side. This configuration of engine is not as cheap or easy to find as a standard issue engine.

If you haven't already you could call this place and see if they have anything;

http://www.smallenginewarehouse.com/default.asp

Other than that without model and spec numbers I haven't a clue.

Good Luck

5. ACA L&L

64660 is the replacement eng. for the walker 20 hp. kohler
    the 18 hp would be the better deal, if the crank shaft matches up. found it for around 1400.00 much better price. the eng would last longer than the frame!

6. Lawdog302

Lawdog302 LawnSite Member

Cranks will be in the same place. You may have to use the old pulley and shaft setup off of your old engine, or update to a newer pulley style.

Good luck

7. ACA L&L

thanks guys the dealer already says he found one as well as new one (other issue) for me billy goat!! thanks again.