1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Walker engine blown

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by sam c, May 17, 2001.

1. sam c

sam c LawnSite Member

Well guys now i know why the walker was only $500 bucks. I knew the engine was noisy and weak and it let go today. It's a model MCGHS with a 16 hp. kohler. I would love to get some suggestions for replacing the engine from you who have been up this road. Sources,options,ect. I do my own work if that helps and also would like to know if i can and should install a larger engine. *Help* The oil stained the concrete walk. (see other thread) Thanks-A-Lot
  2. Rooster

Rooster LawnSite Senior Member

3. LJ lawn

LJ lawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

forget about e-mailing them,call 'em direct,talk to to tech.you can probably upgrade to a 20 hp engine,but the 20 hp models have a manual clutch engagement not an electric,so there might be some re-configuring (modifications) you might have to do.might be more expensive.
  4. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

isnt the 16hp a single and the 20 a V-twin?.I would think more than just the clutch engagement would neew to be changed.I know the larger Walkers use the V twin kohlers.Now would be a good time to upgrade to 20 hp if it is that easy.

OBRYANMAINT LawnSite Senior Member

i think they do have a twin 16 now that may be good to get yu by ...my experience is that the bigger engine swap may cost you some money which may or may not be in the budget......20 worth it if not ridiculus
  6. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

7. curlawngreen

curlawngreen Banned

Call the above post and talk to Tim. He knows it ALL.
  8. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

I didnt know Kohler made a 16hp Twin OHV or side valve engine.The smallest command V-twin is a 17hp,and I have a 16hp Kohler magnum,its a big single,shakes your brains out.Is ther another Kohler besides a MAg or command that would be on that machine?
  9. captdevo

captdevo LawnSite Senior Member

replace it with a Kohler 16hp v-twin, it is an easy swap.
    Make sure to upgrade the pullies also.