1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Walker engine replacement16hp or 20hp

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by ALCS, Oct 2, 2003.

1. ALCS

ALCS LawnSite Member

Hi I have been searching for information on replacing my walker 16hp kohler with the 20 hp kohler vtwin.

My 16hp kohler is leaking oil from the crankase seal and from what I have been reading here this engine does not have a long life span. I have 223 hours on it, bought used with 60 supposed hours on it.

So my question is has anyone swapped the 16hp engine for the 29 hp kohler?

I know I have to change the exhaust and relocate the engine backwards aprox 5 inches. Longer belts, rework the mounting of the engine.

If anyone has tried such a venture I would like to hear your input.

Many thanks in advance.

2. grassdaddy

grassdaddy LawnSite Senior Member

a 16kohler should have more than a 223hr life span.I'd replace seal first,if something is bad wrong, it won't take long to blow seal again.--I'd spend alittle on it before I scrapped it,at 223hrs.
  3. ducky1

ducky1 LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with grassdaddy. It should be just broke in good by now.
  4. ALCS

ALCS LawnSite Member

Thanks for your input grassdaddy nad ducky1.

I am pulling the engine out tommorrow and hopefully will find out how easy or difficult the seal is to replace and hopefully finish the season off before anything happens.

Will let you know hopefully in the enxt few days.

NCSERVICE LawnSite Member

the crank case seal on a kohler is going to be RTV i think the black stuff works the best. your crank case should not have the kind of pressure it would take to blow that seal. as for the bigger motor, theres only 16 hp on it for a reason. anytime you alter something directly like that you risk the unit and your saftey.
  6. ALCS

ALCS LawnSite Member

Normally I would agree, but Walker has since discontinued the 16hp model and the new model has an 18hp engine in it.
    Since the 20hp has the identical exterrior dimensions (same block), I figured why not.

Many thanks for all your advice I am now off to the shop to get the engine inspected.

Just as a side note, I verified the clock on the walker yesterday and it seems to be slipping, rough calcultaions give the engine at 1800 hrs. I was changing the oil once a month wether it was needed or not and greasing everything weekly so I never verified the clock.

Just goes to show you.

Thanks again.
  7. grassdaddy

grassdaddy LawnSite Senior Member

That changes my opinion a bit.--1800hrs,it might be poop'd out.
    anything a 16 will do, a 20 will do better.
  8. ALCS

ALCS LawnSite Member

I agree grasdaddy.

The garage has the engine now and after a visual inspection believes more than a seal is gone.
    He is going to open it up monday and maybe I can make a better decision.

Walker suggested staying with a single cylinder engine because of the configuration ubder the hood.
    So possibly looking for a 20hp replacement single engine.
    Only quirk is the PTO shaft sticks out the other end for the walker applications.

Patience for me for now.
    Thanks again.
  9. ALCS

ALCS LawnSite Member

Just to update.

Got the engine back, the backing plate behind the flywheel vibrated loose( seal attached to it).
    Had all gaskets replaced and engine inspected. Seems all good for know.

The 20hp engine will not fit tin this old model for the newest model has changed the frame and other mod's that this unit as it stands will not accomadate.
    So for now have to keep the 16hp, if I want 20 hp have to sell the walker and buy latest model.

Unless someone knows haw to increase horses in a 16hp kohler

MAny thanks for all your advice
  10. Dave_B-The_Grass_Guy

Dave_B-The_Grass_Guy LawnSite Member

Ya want more power without a lot of modifications? Add 1/2 an ounce of nitromethane (sold at most hobby stores as model airplane fuel, $17.oo a pint) per gallon of gasoline and switch to the hottest spark plug you can find. Any higher concentration and you risk throwing a rod. Since the motor is governed, I wouldn't be too concerned with exceeding the RPM limits, unless you are getting involved in lawnmower races.

If you do this, I also recomend synthetic oil like Mobil 1, as nitro burns hotter(increasing cylinder pressure against the piston resulting in more power), so the oil will breakdown faster, synthetic is good for this, plus decreased friction, freeing up maybe 1/2 a pony from frictional drag.