Walker Engine Service Light.

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by ATouchofGrass, May 16, 2008.

1. ATouchofGrass

ATouchofGrass LawnSite Senior Member
    from CT

I have a Kohler 26 HP EFI in my Walker 48" GHS. Yesterday i was finishing up cutting one of uor larger accounts and noticed that i wasnt getting enough power in some areas, where ive had FULL power a weekago. It bogged down when i hit some higher grass thinking it was the blades that needed to be changed. Well i finished and parked it. Went and trimmed the lawn and came back blew everthing off and went to start it and put it on the trailer, I noticed that the Service Engine Light had come on and would go off about 3 or 4 seconds later. Today i went and did the "self test" by turning the ignition to the run position (3 times) and then let the light flash, it flashed for me 4-2 which is 42. If i could get any insight on this problem that would be fantastic! And should i just take it to my local Kohler Certified Dealer? Not too sure if i have to take it to a "Walker dealer".:confused:
  2. ATouchofGrass

ATouchofGrass LawnSite Senior Member
    from CT

Any ideas?
  3. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

Code 42 is temp senor shorted to ground. You have a wire going to the temp senor that is shorting out against the frame or the temp senor is shorted "closed" Give me an email address and I will sent you a PDF with the code infor. You can PM me the email address if youdo not wish it posted in the open.
  4. XterraJohn

XterraJohn LawnSite Member

I posted this in your other thread, but it may be more relevant here:

I googled and found a Kohler service manual online:

On page 99, it lists two possible causes for a blink code of 42:

Temperature Sensor Circuit: Shorted to Ground
    Temperature Sensor Circuit: Open Circuit or Short to Battery

Either way, it sounds like it's most likely a wiring problem concerning the temperature sensor. Look for any loose/disconnected wires, or any wires that have the insulation rubbed off of them allowing them to short.