1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Walker Engines

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mike Felices, Jan 9, 2001.

1. Mike Felices

Mike Felices Banned
    from Georgia

I am purchasing a new Walker in February. I am located in north Georgia and wanted to know which engine would be the best. 26hp EFI Kohler
    24.5hp Gasoline LC Kubota
    20.9hp Diesel Kubota
    I am still trying to decide whether to run the 42" GHS deck or the 48" GHS deck. Any opinions and/or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
  2. landscaper3

landscaper3 LawnSite Bronze Member

We have a 20hp Kohler 1996, 25hp Kohler 1998 and a 26EFI 2001, all GHS models all are great professional machines, my preference is the 26EFI. I love these machines you can clean and sharpen blades in minutes due to tilt up deck, you can change decks in less then 2 minutes and much more options like tail locks, power dumps and more good choice in machines, Go with the 26EFI!!
  3. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree I have a 25 Kohler on a 98 model ..... but that EFI is the way to go (fuel savings)....I can't say on the diesel but it would seem unless you have a diesel truck the effort might be more than need ..... I like the 42" GHS as that is what I have on 2 mowers ..... small enough to use on most of my jobs that require high quality work ... but I also have other decks to switch with .....God I love my Walker

BUSHMASTER LawnSite Senior Member

Go with the kubota..............more hours of life,water cooled,more power/tourqe/ and in my opion more reliable than an air cooled.
  5. Indiana

Indiana LawnSite Member

Where in north Georgia are you?

I in Murphy, NC just across the state line.

I run a Walker C with a 42"

I would go with the Walker T (20HP) gas and a 48" deck if money is tight. If not, the 26EFI with a 48" the best way to go.

Do you go through any chain link gates? I did for a while and really liked the 42" for that. Now I don't so the 48" would suit me best. 48" is also the size of my walk behind so the stripe would be the same size.

Let me know if what your dealer has priced it as. I know I got a price for a 26EFI at about $8800 new.
  6. Cleve

Cleve LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Rockmart, GA

I have a 95' with the diesel. Back then I believe it was rated around 16hp. This one has the 42" deck and is a great machine. I cannot complain at all. About the only thing I miss is the ability to tilt up the deck. They added that feature a year or two after I purchased mine. The only costs since new has been belts and one idler pulley replaced. I change the oil, filter and fuel filter on a regular basis and mow grass. I also like the 42" deck and have only wished I had a 48" on a few occasions. The 42" will go through most gates and that is important. There are many yards where we don't even unload the small mowers.
  7. Mike Felices

Mike Felices Banned
    from Georgia

I only have 1 gate that the 42" would be useful for, otherwise the 48" would fit inside all of my gates. How much maintenance is there on a Diesel? How hard is the maintenance on the Diesel?
  8. Cleve

Cleve LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Rockmart, GA

When I got my Walker, I only had one gate that the 42" would fit. But now I have more. A 48" would have cost me quite a few jobs. I would rather get the smaller deck and be able to do all. You can always travel a little faster anyway. I also feel that a 42" gives a little better flat cut without scalping that might occur with the bigger deck.
    As far as maintenance, little is required. Just keep the oil and filter changed on a regular basis. Remember, no ignition, no sparkplugs, no carb. My engine has required no repair or maintenance other than the above since new in 1995.
    You are going to pay more for the diesel engine but can expect a long and reliable life from it.
  9. LJ lawn

LJ lawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

i just talked in length to my mechanic today about the EFI kohler engines.this is the deal- IT'S TOO NEW OF A SYSTEM. basically they still haven't gotten the bugs worked out yet.the engine doesn't have a mass air flow sensor and they didn't put the exhaust temp sensors to read each cylinder, they only put it near the muffler.so the computer doesn't know which cylinder is burning lean or not.this dealer spoke of a fellow dealer in the area who got in the new EFI Kohler in an EXMARK z they had a problem with it that they could'nt figure out and Kohler couldn't either so they actually sent the machine back. apparently Kohler has cut some jobs so there is very little dealer support on that end regarding the EFI engines.i would do some serious research before i spent any money on a EFI engine.personally,if i were to buy new, i would buy either the liquid cooled gas or diesel engine.
  10. Mike Felices

Mike Felices Banned
    from Georgia

OK, I will probably go with the Kubota engine now. The question is the LC gasoline or the Diesel engine? Is it really worth the $500 extra for the Diesel over the LC? I have 4 yards with gates. The 42" would fit through 3 of them, and the other one has to be push mowed. The 48" would fit through 2 gated yards, one would be pushed and the other I could get into if I was able to angle the deck up, and drive with the deck angle up around the side of the yard. This way I could get into the back yard with out going through the gate. Only part of the back yard is fenced in. The fenced in part would only take about 2 min. to mow with a push mower. I am starting to think that the 48" would end up being more productive and better in the long run. Has anyone had any problems at all from the Kubota engines?

[Edited by Mike Felices on 01-11-2001 at 06:38 PM]