1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by SWR11, Mar 20, 2003.

1. SWR11

SWR11 LawnSite Member

Has anyone tried out the new walk behinds from walker?
    Love to hear:)
  2. PR0 TURF

PR0 TURF LawnSite Bronze Member

I have not demo'd one yet...but have seen them up close numerous times. My biggest complaint would have to be the 15hp motor...would like to see something a little bigger than that myself. Also...if im not mistaken i don't think you can mount a velke very easily on them because they have a rear tail wheel that gets in the way...but im sure it could be done with some minor fabrication. The rear tail wheel also eliminates being able to push downwards on the handles to raise the front of the deck to hop up onto a curb etc...
  3. acutabovemt

acutabovemt LawnSite Member
    from mt

nice mower handels in a bad spot hp not bad
  4. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I have not tried one. I own a Walker and love it but I don't see myself ever getting a walk behind. First off, pistol grips are for dinosaurs and sadists. Sorry for that strong analogy but they are difficult to use at best.
    I prefer to ride and have an option to bag.
    I really am not too keen on a 15hp motor either.
    Walker is a good company and I appreciate the efforts they are making to get into another market but it just isn't for me.
  5. The Plant Poet

The Plant Poet LawnSite Member
    from Georgia

I've heard there will be a velke assembly available from walker. As far as hopping a curb, how about backing over it like a rider does:rolleyes:

I just picked mine up from the dealer last week. I bought mine because of the same great interchangeable floating deck design as the riders. I need one to reduce damage in tight and or hilly situations and still get that great walker cut. The 15 horse engine is fine. after all, you can run all the attachments up to the 52" deck including the new perferator.
  6. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

What deck are you running with yours? I liked the little cruise control switch (controls forward speed with your right thumb), but that was the most impressive feature about it. Run the 52" deck "efficiently" with a 15hp engine.....doubt that.

7. The Plant Poet

The Plant Poet LawnSite Member
    from Georgia

I'm tryng the 42" mulching deck on bermuda. Hope to reduce some bagging this year. I also have the 52" deck to try it on some larger properties and a perferator on the way.
  8. Ax Man

Ax Man LawnSite Senior Member

I havnt tried it, but doubting the amount of HP, I sent a note to Mr. Walker last fall. He responded, saying that they will change it if it needs it.
    My hope was for options. especially since I want a 60" deck for my rider, I could put the 52 on the walk er
  9. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

It didn't impress me all that much. I love my walkers, but that will not be in our fleet. :cool:
  10. accuratelawn

accuratelawn LawnSite Senior Member

I tried out a prototype version a couple years ago. There is a long thread somewhere...search