walker fires

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by therainman, Nov 9, 2004.

1. therainman

therainman LawnSite Member
    from IL

I am no longer in the biz, but worked all day Saturday with a friend doing leaf removal. He has two brand-new Walkers.
    Abouut 10 min. into the day I see him get off his mower and smoke is just rolling off of it. I went over to help and he said that was nothing new. He said it happens al the time. When we would dump the GHS the leaves still in the shoot would fall out and land between the mufflere and the shroud around it. They would become stuck in this small space and evntually catch fire. I had 3 fires of my own and he had 2.

Is anyone else have problems like this?

Any suggetions?

2. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Been using a Walker since 98 and I can honestly say that I have not had one fire. I can't imagine how you had 5 in one day.
  3. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

3 years on mine, never had a fire and I do a TON of leaves up here.
  4. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

You are supposed to stop and dump the hopper before it backs up into the chute. Sounds like his "bin full" alarm is not working, or he just trys to cram too much into the hopper. I have not had a fire since I have owned mine,(6 years).
  5. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

I've had one fire and one smoldering mess all on the same day> this was when the Walker was new and I was learning how to operate it.

I now know to just make sure no leaves/grass/pine needles fall into the gap between the muffler shroud and frame.

Have not had any problems since.

I'm pretty sure the 2004 model has fixed the problem as the mufflers have been repositioned and a new shroud is in place.
  6. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

We did the same thing when our Walker was new. Drove a couple of feet too far and filled the chute. Spend a couple of seconds removing the leaves.
  7. NorrisG

NorrisG LawnSite Member

I had one fire on the first leaf job I did with my Walker, now I know to stop as soon as the alarm sounds, haven't had one since. Also, get a fire extinguisher to keep on your lawn trailer if you don't already have one.
  8. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I had one last spring, but it was from my own ignorance. Had a pile of dried bermuda grass piled up in the street. The street had one of those soft rolling type curbs instead of one of those that drop off. The pile was getting big so I thought I would use the ass end of the Walker to bull doze it over a little bit. Well, the drive tires got stuck between the curb and pile of grass, burying the exhaust muffler in the grass. It pretty much scared the hell out of me. The mower would not budge so I frantically moved the grass away from the muffler. I let the grass that was on the muffler continue to burn off. Just operator error....that all and lesson learned.
  9. grass-scapes

grass-scapes LawnSite Bronze Member

I backed up into a pile of leaves a little too far last year and started a small fire. Stomped it out and watched it for a while cause it was a large pile. I try not to do that anymore.