Walker Gear Boxes?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mowman, Jul 24, 2000.

1. Mowman

Mowman LawnSite Senior Member

What lube do you guys use? Friend of mine uses Mobil 1 Synthic lube in his. Is this alright to use? Thanks for you input. Mowman

2. JJ Lawn

JJ Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

Unless there is a leak at the seals the deck gear box nor the tractor gear box should not require any scheduled lubrication. If the seals are leaking you need to replace seals. But if oil is needed the manual calls for SAE E.P (extreme pressure) 90W oil. Just my opinion but I would use what the manufacturer recommends, especially if unit is still under warranty.<p>Jim

3. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

After the first hundred hours I used Mobil 1 synthetic 90 like your friend does and It works great. Never had a problem in the 700+ hours I've been running it. All fluids in my Walker are Mobil 1 synthetic, Engine oil, Hydros, Gear box, trans axles. Runs cooler in that little oven. Good Luck.

4. JJ Lawn

JJ Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

Guess I need to check a little further, I did not know that Mobile 1 had a 90W oil. At least I have never seen it around my area. <p>I do use Mobil 1 in my engine an hydro transmissions. <p>After I got my Walker I wanted to change my oil in the hydros at 200 hrs. The manual called for SE 20W motor oil. I searched hi an low for it but no body around here stocked that weight oil. I called Walker and they recommened the Mobil 1. Been using it ever since. Going to check with Mobil distributer today for the 90W.<p>Jim

5. Bobby

Bobby LawnSite Senior Member

Where do you guys find mobile 90wt? <br> I just replaced my center gearbox due to bearing failure. A little tip for you do it yourself types, don't forget to time the blades when you replace a gearbox.I overlooked this and had to take it back apart and reassemble it right.<br> Took a little while but it still beats paying a shop mechanic 50.00hr to do it.<br> My hour meter twitched out back a while. This repair is at approx 2200 hrs.<p>----------<br>Yesteryear L/S<br>Hollywood Fla

6. mountain

mountain LawnSite Member

I took my turfrunner blades off to sharpen and guess what they where covered in mobil 1 90w. just another headache<br>just how much are gear boxes to replace?<p>Bobby I had to order 5gal from our local mobil dist. cost me $135

7. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I get Mobil 1 75W-90 Synthetic gear lube at a store called Fleet Farm. It is a 1 quart container (946ml for Southside) and it runs about $7.00.

8. Grasscape Inc

Grasscape Inc LawnSite Member

DO NOT MIX VISCOSITY OR BRANDS OF LUBE IN THE GEAR BOX!!!

9. BUSHMASTER

BUSHMASTER LawnSite Senior Member

The walker dealer here in town use a mix of extreme preasure90 and ep90 and they have had no problems