Walker GHS 36" mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by CowboysLawnCareDelaware, Jul 8, 2014.

1. CowboysLawnCareDelaware

CowboysLawnCareDelaware LawnSite Senior Member
    from DE

Does anyone have any feedback or reviews on using a Walker GHS mower with a 36" mowing deck? I would be using it on a 20 or 26 hp Kohler model. I did hear that narrower tires are needed when using a 36" deck. I can't seem to find any feedback other than a couple people hearing that they heard the narrower tires needed for the 36" deck slightly rutted the yards.

Thank you for your time.

Michael

2. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

why are you getting a 36" GHS?

is this a special deck and tires for an already existing machine?

Or are you getting a new machine?

If it's a New machine just get an MC with 36" GHS deck and narrow wheels form the get go. I think it comes with an 18hp not sure

3. CowboysLawnCareDelaware

from DE

I'd be buying used with a 48" deck which would come in handy for Spring and Fall Clean-ups. I would need a 36" to fit through weekly clients that I currently bag with my Toro 36" wb.

Michael

4. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

so a little nascar pit stop?
    change wheels and deck for summer season?

you should have serious issues…stay away from wet areas.
    make sure you alternate cutting directions …it will be ok. machine isn't THAT heavy.

dont mow in the rain or directly after it.
    Get the wider tail split for trail wheels… feel worth the upgrade.

5. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

How wide are the gates that you need to get through? I used to have a customer with a 40" gate and I could get my 48" deck through it. I had to hook the deck in the upright position and approach the gate in a kitty corner position. Swing one side through and hug the post with the tire and it got through. The tires on my MT are standard and measure 39" out side to out side, don't remember if it has any spacers behind the wheels.

6. CowboysLawnCareDelaware

from DE

I'm not sure how your able to do that, but I have a couple accounts with 37" openings that I can barely get the mower through.

Yes the deck and wheels would be a quick 20 minutes change but I wanted to make sure the performance was up to par with the rest of the Walker decks since I don't know anyone who has a 36".

Michael

7. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

I know a lot of Walker owners but none with a 36" deck. Maybe it would be worth your while to approach your customers with small gates to enlarge them to a more modern size for modern equipment.