1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Walker GHS Bagger Blowing Grass on my back

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tglasslawncare, Apr 21, 2009.

1. tglasslawncare

tglasslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I am fairly new to walker mowers. My last one was 1994 MDD I bought used and it had a 7 bushel hopper (no grass on my back). I had it for about a year and a half. I recently bought a 2003 MDD with 9.5 bushel hopper to use for this season. It has been two weeks now and I am wondering if there is any solution to keep the grass from spraying the back of my head and shoulders. It is coming from the flap at the top of the hopper. It appears to be closed during mowing and the hopper is in good shape. Like I said if this is common I am new the walker line. I have been running toro most of my life. If anyone has a suggestion please let me know. Thanks
  2. b121774

b121774 LawnSite Member

Walker has a rubber flap that mounts inside the bag that prevents that. It came with my 08 mt. Ask your dealer. should be pretty cheap. It keeps the air flow going to the back and down, not out the top and front. Unfortunately you can't stick your hand back there to check for airflow anymore to see if it's plugged.
  3. dave k

dave k LawnSite Bronze Member

Thats the nature of the beast, mine does the same thing, even with the flap sitting pretty tight, need to check out that rubber piece.
  4. ztrlvr

ztrlvr LawnSite Member
    from US

I had some blowout up there but not much, only when I was in dry, dry conditions and I turned downwind when turning. I installed the rubber flap in the catcher and have not had a problem with debris since. No I am waiting for the box to wear out(will be a while) and upgrade to the new 10.0 catcher, that thin is the bomb.
  5. tglasslawncare

Does anyone have any pics of the rubber flap or know what they cost? Thanks
  6. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

Call your dealer, I'm sure they know exactly what you'd be asking them about. I bet they'll give you a price too! :)
  7. tglasslawncare

Just called and they do have one. $12. I was just looking for some pics to see how they are installed. Thanks
  8. ZX12R

ZX12R LawnSite Senior Member

Just take a bungee strap and strap it across the top of the hopper holding th flap down.
  9. tglasslawncare

Thought of that but did not try it yet. Does it work well? Do you still get the correct air flow for vacuum so that grass collects?
  10. ztrlvr

ztrlvr LawnSite Member
    from US

It has nice installation instructions included. You will not be ab;e to see the flap after it is installed. 12 bucks??? Still a bargain at twice the price.