Walker GHS full alarm fails

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by djsmokin, Apr 17, 2003.

1. djsmokin

djsmokin LawnSite Member

I have posted this in two forums hoping to get some response.

I have a Walker 2003 Model C with the GHS small hopper system. Most of the time the alarm fails to sound when the hopper is full. I have checked the micro switch and it works very good.

Any ideas for me? My dealer is telling me that is the only test of the alarm. Thanks Dj

2. maxabeth

maxabeth LawnSite Member
    from Iowa

The Power Fill Spout may not be oscillating back and forth. If the spout isn't moving the fill beeper will not operate because the back and forth motion is what activates the the beeper. Turn key to the on position without starting engine, engage PTO, spout should be moving. Love That Walker!!

3. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Sorry to be so blunt but tell your dealer to FIX the problem. You just spent 8 g on a new mower from this guy and you have a problem. That mower is covered under warranty. Either have him fix it or call the factory and talk to Bob Walker.

southerntide likes this.
  4. ZX12R

ZX12R LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with mow ed

5. SCAPEASAURUSREX

SCAPEASAURUSREX LawnSite Senior Member

Curious , did you ever find and fix the proplem ??? My guess would have been that the shoot was not ocillating ???

6. djsmokin

djsmokin LawnSite Member

Still no luck. Have taken it to the dealer and my last trip there he said to bring it back to him full of grass so he can try and get it to fail.

It is oscillating and it test great anytime you test it, but with a load most times the alarm fail.

Only thing I can find that might be the problem is the filler neck can be stopped when it is oscillating, but it does take some force to do that.

Have any of you guys ever tryed to hold that filler shoot neck while it is oscillating? How much force would you guess it takes?

7. Brickman

Brickman LawnSite Bronze Member

I would guess that it would take a ton of force. Probably more than the weight of the grass.
    If you don't soon get some satisfaction PM me and I will try to get you a phone number for the walker factory. Sounds to me like you have a DA dealer.
    I have several people I can call to get you a number for Mr. Walker himself.

8. SCAPEASAURUSREX

SCAPEASAURUSREX LawnSite Senior Member

? just a thought ? what if maybe the weight of the grass is causing the wire connection to pull enough to make it loose contact ?? just a thought ?? I would definatly contact Walker Directly at this point now... Just go to the web site and they should have a # there or e mail them... I have gotten prety quick responses from them on e mail..... Keep us posted...

9. captdevo

captdevo LawnSite Senior Member

ghs contacts under the hopper.....

lift hopper, on bottom of hopper is 2 metal spring contacts, 1 ground, 1 positive. these contact 2 screws on the body for power.

make sure these are aligned properly and making good contact while holding hopper down (as if loaded) with key in on position (engine NOT running) and PTO engaged.

-----------------------

if that works, bend bracket down that holds paddle sensor on spout to where it's almost parrallel with hopper bottom, to better contact grass when filling.

------------------------

no luck yet......check your ground wire connection in the hopper...wet grass may cause bad ground travel through hopper body.

------------------------

10. djsmokin

djsmokin LawnSite Member

I can't find any problems with the wiring or the sensor full switch. I cleaned the load contacts a couple of weeks ago. Yesterday I bent the switch down to sense for a smaller load. That seemed to help but I did not ever get a good solid alarm.

I think it might be a weak ocillating motor on the chute. Anyone know of a torque test on that?

Thanks and I will keep you guys posted.