Walker GHS gearboxes

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Westbrooklawn, Nov 26, 2002.

1. Westbrooklawn

Westbrooklawn LawnSite Senior Member

Recent discussions on the Walker right angle gear boxes generated some questions in my mind.

1. My gearboxes have been noisy since new (700 hrs. on them now). Response from Walker was that was normal. In their testing, they found they could tighten the gear tolerances and make them quieter, but that resulted in them wearing out too quickly.

2. My gearboxes seem to have become too "sloppy". you can move the blades by hand in about a 6" arch back and forth before feeling any resistance in the gears.

3. Is there an easy rebuild for the gear boxes, and if so, what is the cost.

Any comments from other Walker owners on the above issues would be appreciated.

2. Cleve

Cleve LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Rockmart, GA

I have a 94' Walker GHS diesel with the 42" deck. The noise was something that I noticed from the start.
    I suggest that you "experiment" a little with some synthetic lubes. At that time I had a job that involved working with heavy machinery and used a lot of synthetic lubes. I also had access to many engineers at the lube companies. The best advise I ended up with was to mix some of the lubes of different grades to get the right viscosity. The heavier you can go the quieter it will get. Problem is, this can also increase the heat buildup. I just mixed and tested with a temperature probe until I felt comfortable with the heat of the boxes. They do tend to run hot anyway even when new. I think I ended up with about a 50:50 blend of 90 and 140 grades.
    Cleve.

3. captdevo

captdevo LawnSite Senior Member

yes, they are easily rebuildable, but it may or may not reduce the noise.

the main thing is.....if you notice a leak...even the smallest, investigate it and repair it.

as for different lubes.... use ep90 only this is extreme pressure lube.

since the gearboxes are sealed (no vent) you must use extreme pressure lube, you could go to a thicker lube.

mainly, make sure there are no leaks, and see that you have enough lube in them!!

Instructions from Manual

Mower Deck Gearbox Lubrication:

NOTE: These instructions apply to all mower
    decks with gear-driven blades. Refer to DSD52
    Mower Deck Lubrication in this section for the
    DSD52 deck with belt-driven blades.

The mower deck gearboxes (tee gearbox and blade
    drive gearboxes) are connected as a unitized assembly,
    and oil flows freely between them.

The gearboxes are permanently lubricated (oil filled) and sealed requiring no scheduled lubrication.

However, the gearbox oil seals should be checked every 25 hours for
    indication of an oil leak; particularly the lower seals
    on the blade drive gearboxes should be inspected,
    since they operate in a dirty environment.

If an oil leak is noted, replace the oil seal and relubricate the gearbox assembly as follows:

1. Remove gearbox cover (footrest). Deck orientation
    should be the normal operating position.

2. Clean the area around the individual gearbox
    cover plates to prevent contaminants from entering
    the gearcase.

3. Remove the screws securing the cover plates
    on the blade drive gearboxes.

4. Check the level of lubricant in the gearboxes. If
    the lubricant is low, add SAE E.P. (Extreme
    Pressure) 90W oil until the oil level is up to (submerges)
    the horizontal shaft in the gearbox
    (shaft parallel to cover plate).

NOTE: In case the gearboxes are completely
    drained of oil, approximately 5 fl. oz. (15 cl) of oil
    per gearbox is required to refill the gear drive
    assembly.

NOTE: Since the gearboxes are connected as
    a unit by connector tubes, it is necessary to add
    oil slowly. Allow a few minutes after adding oil
    for the oil to flow throughout the assembly and
    the oil level to stabilize before reassembly.

IMPORTANT: DO NOT overfill the deck gearboxes.
    The gearbox assembly is not vented,
    and overfilling with oil will cause excessive pressure
    and result in oil leaks.

5. Check condition of the cover gasket and replace
    if worn or damaged. Reinstall gearbox cover
    plates; torque screws to 24 in-lb (2.7 N⋅m).

Dave

4. Westbrooklawn

Westbrooklawn LawnSite Senior Member

I know that Walker now offers a heavy duty gear box assembly for their deck. I also read in an older post that they have an "upgrade exchange" program. Is anyone familiar with that program, and if so, the cost?

5. captdevo

captdevo LawnSite Senior Member

new for new.....

48SD $220

56SD $320

48GHS $230

complete sealed units!!

if you're interested in swapping used, send me info on your decks, and i will give you a deal!!

6. Cleve

Cleve LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Rockmart, GA

The synthetic lube that I used is rated as extreme pressure lube. This stuff was designed to be put into gearboxes with very high HP input in an industrial plant. I did enough change overs from regular lube to the synthetic to see major reductions in temperatures and amp loading.
    I did find my records as to how I mixed the lube for my Walker boxes. I did this back in 1996 and they are still running fine.
    I was off a little in my original post. I actually used a mix of 75% 90w and 25% 250w. I do make a prctice of opening the box covers at least once a year to check the levels. So far there has been no change in the appearance of the lube or evidence of metal particles in the boxes.
    Cleve.

7. Mowing Freak

Mowing Freak LawnSite Senior Member
    from S.E. Ks

Just my 2 cents worth. Through my 2yrs of being associated with and working with Walkers and my dad being a small engine mechanic, we have figured out that Walker strives to improve on their stuff even if it involves sacrificing a little "operators comforts". I have the deck noise in all 3 of my walkers but have gotten used to it. Sounds like walker has determined that the gear tolerance thing would extend the life of the mower which in turn would give them a good name.