Walker GHS Mulcher

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawn Enforcer, Mar 25, 2008.

1. Lawn Enforcer

Lawn Enforcer LawnSite Silver Member

Hey guys-
    I may be purchasing a Walker MCGHS, 6.7 bushel catcher, 42 in. grass handling deck. Can I buy some sort of plug for the collection system on the mower so I can mulch with the grass handling deck? I've heard of this before, but I've never seen one before. Thanks!

2. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

nope, buy another deck

3. Blueribbonlawns

Blueribbonlawns LawnSite Senior Member

No you have to get another deck for mulching sucks lol
    good luck on the walker if i were you id spent the extra money and get the MT, i have had alot of small minor problems with the MC and i would get the MT just for the peace of mind good luck tho.

4. Reassurance Property

Reassurance Property LawnSite Member

They do make a plug for the impeller, (for when you use attatchments like a snowblower etc. I just take the impeller belt off) but you also have to buy different blades. I am not sure if the GHS deck will do it or if the blades are only for the 52 SD. Personally I just SD. and most of my high end clients like the look of the 42 GHS.

5. grassaholic

grassaholic LawnSite Senior Member

The 42" GHS deck is not designed to mulch grass, only to collect grass. Walker does offer a 42" dedicated mulching deck that works really well. I know it sucks to have to buy another deck to mulch with. Walkers reasoning for this is the GHS decks are designed with baffles under the deck so it can give the best cut possible when collecting grass. The same deck would not do a good job of mulching by simply blocking off the collection chute on the rear of the deck. Walkers answer is to design a deck that is strictly for mulching. I have demoed this deck in tall wet grass and it shocked the he!! out of me. The deck was demoed on my own lawn after a morning rain shower in the springtime. I told the guy demoing to go ahead but it probably won't work because the grass was so wet. To my surprise, the mower left a great cut with NO CLUMPS! To that point I had never used a mulching deck that did anywhere near as good in wet grass. I know that Tallimeca will probably post that you can buy a Navigator with a 42" deck that can collect or mulch with the same deck. I have never used a Navigator so I can't say whether this system works well or not. I can tell you that the Walker will collect grass like no other and their mulching deck works really well in my opinion.

6. Lawn Enforcer

How will a mulching deck cost me?

7. Blueribbonlawns

Blueribbonlawns LawnSite Senior Member

a 42'' about $1800

8. Lawn Enforcer

9. grassaholic

grassaholic LawnSite Senior Member

10. Lawn Enforcer

Any other comments on the MCGHS? It has a 16 hp Kohler on it.