Walker GHS still our main mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TMlawncare, Mar 8, 2002.

1. TMlawncare

TMlawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

We have been running a walker 48" ghs with 21hp kubota gas engine for 5 years now and ready for its sixth. Now has 2800 hrs on it and as far as repairs go, we had to replace the gears in the gear driven deck once because it wouldn't mow over 10" stump (covered in leaves, oops). Replaces all belts, most you can change w/o tools in only a couple of minutes. Still trying to think if we really have had to do much else to it becides new blades, filters, etc. I still consider our walker to be our staple machine in our lineup it just does so many things well. Many of our friends run them also, their results mimic mine, well thoughtout machine. The new HD gear drive on the GHS decks share the same internals of the new 74" deck. It will be a lot quieter and stronger than the current standard model. If considering a new walker I would definitly spend the extra $250 -300 for it. I feel my walker still has another 2500 or 3000 hrs in it with little effort, so it might deserve an upgrade.

2. mowngrow

mowngrow LawnSite Senior Member

sounds like to me you have got a good one. Keep on mowing til the wheels fall off then buy a new one

3. mownman

mownman LawnSite Member
    from kansas

I have had similar results with my walkers. most of the repairs necessary have been from operator error of some fashion. I have 5 and may trade my off-breed excel in on a new one. the only reason i purchased the excel was i needed a wider area mower for some big accounts. Now that the 74" deck has been released i may have all walkers. Except one toro 21",( I really dont waste time with lawns that are accessible to the walkers. I stay plenty busy without walking. ) :blob2:

4. slplow

slplow LawnSite Senior Member

This yr instead of running my walker ghs and wb. I am going to run 2 walkers at the same time. I hope my new efi will last that long.

5. TOSLC

TOSLC LawnSite Member

Glad to hear you guys are having such good luck with the Walkers. I am considering buying one the next time I need another mower. I like the Scag and Exmark, but the Walker's seem to be so versitile. I just received an info pack on the Grasshoppers, and I'm wondering how they compare.

As always though it will probably come down to the dealer. I really like the dealer that I currently deal with. Last year I broke a mower and he loaned me a demo, plus stuck me in front of some residential customers. How can you stray from someone who treats you that good?

6. visions landscape

visions landscape LawnSite Member

Wev I run walkers They are our bread and butter. Also got a 74 last week , and Walker is sending us some walk behinds to test for them Tthis spring.

7. PRECISION LC

PRECISION LC LawnSite Member

i just purchased my first walker, the 26 efi, hope mine wil last as long as that. i have heard alot of of good things about them, and loved the deck swaping and other attachments.

8. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

visions

Did I read right?

A Walker walk-behind? I gotta see this. Tell us more.
    I've thought for a long time that A Walker deck in a walk-behind form would be an exelent combo. jmho

9. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

PaulJ, do a search, someone posted pics here before of the Walker walk behind prototype last year.

10. visions landscape

visions landscape LawnSite Member

Paul that is correct Getting the units in April. There is a picture from a post way back that is a proto- type. Walker made som modications and were ready to give it a try.