1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Walker GHS users, how to get grass from hopper to dump bed?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MacLawnCo, Oct 25, 2002.

1. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

How do you users, or anyone that has seen a LCO do this, how do you get your clippings from the full hopper to the bed of the truck. I was thinking of the high lift dump systems, but at $3000, i cant tell if they are worth the cost. I am thinking that dumping in the street and then loading with a "leaf loader" into a leafbox may be the most effiecient way. Anyone with more efficient ways? I am wanting to use this system all season, so loading just clippings will be the majority of the work.
  2. What about that additional high lift thing I have seen in the mags?

Or this www.usaramp.com

In Turf on page B23 they have it going from the trailer to the bed of a flat bed with a Walker mower on it.
  3. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

i dont have a walker, but from reading numerous threads about this, i think your way of sucking them up with the leaf loader would work best. other methods ive heard are dumping into barrels and dumping them in the truck, or dumping onto a tarp and dragging it into the woods, or use another guy to load into a truck.
  4. MacLawnCo

LGF, that is the lift i am refering to. Can a leaf loader efficiently load just clippings is basicly what i am deep down getting at.

Forgot to mention that it is an enclosed trailer.
  5. Enclosed trailer....your up Dawson's Creek without a paddle.

Leaf Loader or that High lift system I cann't find a link to.
  6. MacLawnCo

Im leaning to a leafloader. I just want to know if it will take forever sucking up just grass. I have never used a leafloader before. For a little more than the cost of the lift, i can get a loader and box that will hold 4times the ammout of just dumping in the bed.
  7. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

That hi-lift for the Walker is $2 or 3 thousand!!! Then you still need a dump truck, or a $2300.00 dump bed insert for your pickup. Just to much money for me right now.

You can get the "Walker" clear plactic bags for the 9.5 bushel hopper for $2.00 each. They can be re-used a few times. I can get two full hoppers of dry grass in one bag and still move the bag by myself into my enclosed trailer. If I had a helper I could put two full hoppers of wet grass in each bag and still move the bag.

I do have several places to dump clippings during the course of a day. One is the recycling facility, and another is a wooded area the city lets me dump grass clippings only.

The Walker is the ticket for me.

8. ksland

ksland LawnSite Senior Member

Driving the walker into the back of the truck will only allow 1 dumping high. You cannot fill the truck up with this method. That high dump deal is way out of my price range just for that. I could see $1000 maybe. Why does a lift setup for a little mower cost more than a 10000 pound dump setup for a whole truck? I too am searching for the ideal way. Currently I just pull clippings out of dump box into a tipped green barrell. I am also pondering the idea of a leaf sucker to pick them up. I am thinking of mounting my sucker on the front tongue of the trailer on top of the cross member with hose facing back towards the trailer deck. I am thinking of dumping on the trailer deck itself and before loading the walker back up sucking up the grass. My question is has anyone used suckers for grass clippings? I am curious how well it works. I have a 16hp lesco unit.
  9. Yup, it will clog some but that's life on the smaller leaf loaders.

Plus you can use it to vac the leaves from the curb.

Hey I got an idea for you.

When you haul whatever away from the curb,give them a seprate price so you get paid more to haul the debris. I do that for leaves, you can impliment it for grass to.
  10. MacLawnCo

Yep, LGF, i am going to implememt something like that, but with out the aditional fee. I am going to incorpoate that into the price. I am going to build a niche market in my area. Noone bags arround my area, but I believe the homeowners are more than willing to splurge for the service(at least the ones who care about how their lawn looks). Those are the clients I will be targeting. I think that by creating a market, I will be much better off than by trying to compete in the cutthroat "basic lawn service" arena. Just my thoughts. I will let yall know how it goes.