1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Walker GHS users:...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by The Lawn Boy Pro, Nov 4, 2003.

1. The Lawn Boy Pro

The Lawn Boy Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

How many times do you have to empty the Hopper on a typical residental account in the fall (about 2" of leaves on the ground), and how often in the summer? I think I'm leaning towards a Walker on my next purchase becasue I like the fact that bagging is an integrated system, and there isnt a chute that sticks out on the right side-I get used to how close I can get, then I put a bagger on the back, and it throws my calibration off:dizzy:

Also if you can, give a brief discription of why you chose Walker mowers over another mower line (like the ever talked about Exmark Lazer and Turf Tracer)

Pics are also welcome:D I think everyone knows I like them:p
  2. lawnkid

lawnkid LawnSite Senior Member

I emptied like a lawn full of leaves like you couldn't see the grass on a 9,000 sq. ft. lawn like maybe 15 times
  3. Ax Man

Ax Man LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah it all depends on if the leaves are damp or crispy, and how deep and thick they are.
    crispy leaves are my favorite, I remember them from last season anyway.
    Iv'e got mabe 2 weeks left, working in between the rain drops and snowfalls.
    I belive the quote is "Pain is weakness leaving the body" makes sense huh?
  4. mottster

mottster LawnSite Member

Man, I tell you what. Walker mowers have some of the best and some of the worst attributes. A really good one is that, as you mentioned, the bagging is intigrated into the mower. All you really ahve to do is just mow once and you're good to go. At work we have 48 and 42" decks. The 48's by far are a better cutting deck. possibly because the blades are longer so more air is moved? One bad thing is that, unless you are able to dump your clippings at a curb for the city to pick up or in the front of a trailer it'll become a real hassle to keep emptying your catcher every 50 feet in moderate leaves. What we've started doing on some of our larger properties where there are lots of leaves is chopping the leaves up with our husqvarna 60" ztr with the deck up on 6"...just kinda blow the leaves around and spread them out better. Reduces the clipping drastically because some of the clipping fall back down into the grass and the blades are chopping up already chopped up leaves. On our smaller yards we set the front of the deck on a higher setting then the rear...allows the leaves to slide under the front instead of just piling up. (have had leaves up to my knees before).

If you do any cleanups or trim hedges walkers are the best. You just have to figure out what to do with the clippings...
  5. Currier

Currier LawnSite Senior Member

If you have enough of an area to do it safely...Raise the front of the deck one notch higher than the back of the deck and open the back of the catcher. After you have run over most of the heavier stuff you simply close the back of the bin and mow over/suck up the chopped up leaves. It really will reduce the # of times you have to dump. Also you can get better suction by backing over the leaves but be careful not to let build up around the muffler catch on fire!
  6. bommaritro

bommaritro LawnSite Member

Please don't tell me the guy across the street has one for sale. :D

7. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

We love our Walkers for cleanups. Just suck everything up and dump it in front of the vacuum. :cool:
  8. The Lawn Boy Pro

The Lawn Boy Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

Maybe he does, maybe he doesn't:D
  9. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

First time I was doing leaves with the Walker, it was filling up fast. What I did was clog the chute intentionally, then go over the lawn to mulch everything up, unclog chute, put on spring tine rake and go over lawn again. This system works well for me and simply makes the lawn look great.
  10. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

When mowing a lawn it all depends on growth. I can go through 2 lawns and not dump once and a month later I will need to dump after each lawn. Leaves are no problem for my Walker. Yesterday I did a clean-up at a property that had long grass and a lot of leaves, it didn't clog once and left the property looking MINT. It all comes down to knowing what it can do and getting used to it.
    I chose the Walker after demoing it and a few others. I went with it for a few reasons. #1 was the quality of cut. In my opinion it is one of if not the best cut out there. #2 was dealer support. My local Walker dealer is about 5-10 mins from me, he has two full time mechanics that only work on Walkers. I can bring it in if I have an issue and they will come right out to the parking lot to check it out. If its an easy fix they take care of it on the spot. #3 95% of every company here has Walkers. That says something about them. We have dealers for Toro's, Exmarks, Scags, Hustler, and a few others but Walker definatly has the market up here and for good reason.