1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Walker Ghs

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by kjfaulk, May 15, 2002.

1. kjfaulk

kjfaulk LawnSite Member
    from NC

Our company is considering some Walker GHS mowers, wanted to get everyones thoughts on these mowers. Any help would greatly be appreiciated.
  2. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I have had one four 4 years. Thye are a great machine. Mine replaced a walkbehind tha ran my legs off. I have a 42" GHS deck for spring and fall cleanups and a 42" mulching deck for the rest of the mowing season. Mine has been real dependable. It has never needed one repair to date.:D
  3. kjfaulk

kjfaulk LawnSite Member
    from NC

Thanks for the reply. I have heard alot of good things about them.
    We have alot of close mowing around mulch beds and cars people and ALOT OF STUFF YOU DONT WANT TO GET GRASS ON OR THROW A ROCK. We just picked up quite a few resturants and we have already put a rock threw a ladys car door. But I guess thats going to happen.
    Anyway thanks for the reply.
  4. LJ lawn

LJ lawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

how is that mulching deck? does it do a pretty good job compared to the collection deck? no clumps of grass left or does it seem to disperse it well?like how much of a cut can you take off the grass before it starts to look bad? or double cut(2"too much?) i'm getting tired of collecting grass all the time.thanks for any info.
  5. Brickman

Brickman LawnSite Bronze Member

For the original question I have had a Walker for several years now. Had a WB for 2 years too. Sold the WB, kept the Walker. I hate too much physical work, if I can't mow it with the Walker then I probably won't take on your yard.

As for the mulching deck I just got one this spring. We have had an extremely DRY year. Some lawns still haven't been mowed yet. So I haven't been cutting off a lot of grass, but they will clump some, and would need double cut if grass is real long. I am looking for Gators for it, so far no luck. One thing that does help tons, is to mow the grass longer, that way there is more place for the clippings to go. Around here every body likes their grass to be cut short, water a ton, fertilize the H+++ out of it, power rake every year, and ALWAYS bag. Every thing that is WRONG for the lawn, that is what MOST customers want. And refuse to listen to me when I tell them what I think. DUH.
  6. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Lj Lawn,
    The mulching deck does a very nice job in average conditions. If you get into tall grass or thick wet grass, you may have to run over it twice. It doesn't leave clumps, but it can leave a lot of clippings on top of the lawn. A second pass will chop them up and make them disappear. Or, you can go slower on the first cut to let the blades do more chopping. I like to go fast and run over any bad spots a second time. One of the keys to getting a nice mulch job, is to keep the blades real sharp.:)
  7. Pro-Lawn

Pro-Lawn LawnSite Member

Walker is a great machine. I use mine all the time. Ive got almost 1000hrs on it and only had a few minor problems. If you have hills there not the greatest mower to handle em. I also run the mulch deck, it does a good job as well. You can run double blades on that deck now. Either way it does a good job.

Eric Goodwin
  8. Currier

Currier LawnSite Senior Member

I find the tail wheel lock helps on those hills! With the types of properties you listed I think the Walkers would be real good machines for you.
  9. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I have had a Walker 42 GHS for 5 years now and I will always own one. It takes a little getting used to at first but once you master it you can really do some quality mowing. I have a 42GHS and a 52SD for the real wet days. The only limitation to mine is the real wet rainy days as the GHS will pick up but it is a time consuming deal.
    I use the 42GHS 90% of the time. It fits thru gates and I have the rear deflector to rear discharge most of the time. When I have to bag, I just take it off. I am a small 2 person operation and mow 2 days a week but I bought the Walker when I was solo and it literally cut 50% of my time compared to a garden tractor.
    Spring cleans and fall leaves are the big moneymaker for me. I paid for the Walker in 1 spring clean season.
    It is not a production mower, it is a precision mower. If you are doing acreage, get a Z. If you are doing finish cuts where the lawn has to look good and you need to bag, get the Walker. People that I mow for love the look of the finish cut. The counterrotating blades of the 42 and 48 GHS give it that as well as the wheel set up.
    As far as hills go I will put it on 15 to 20%grades with no problems. You have to get the feel for the mower. It is much safer than a Z on the hills. If you ever skipped a Z down a hill you will know what I mean.
    If you need any more detailed info on this mower let me know. BTW the Walker company is dedicated to the small operator also.
    Super service and they really do listen.

The Walker isn't for all applications but neither are the big Z's. I think you will really be able to get alot of use out of a Walker by the description of the properties that you do. Good Luck.
  10. theplantdoctor

theplantdoctor LawnSite Member

I'll second that!

We try to use the Mulching deck as much as possible. We only use the GHS deck in the spring and fall, for clean-ups.