Walker grease tools and tricks?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Critical Care, Aug 6, 2004.

1. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd like to know from other Walker owners what tricks I could use to grease some of the fittings that are really tough to get to, such as the zerk on the universal joint tube assembly down between the two front tires. Is it best to jack up one side of the mower to get to the underside, and what type of grease gun gets into these tight places?

2. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

I work in a Walker Dealship so I may be of some help. As far as the drive shaft goes sometimes it is just as easy to remove it and grease it and put it back. An air powered grease gun is a must. You can have one hand on the gun and fight with the fitting with the other. The worse fittings to get to are the ones behind the wheels that go the arms that hold up the deck. some people do not even know they are there. to get to them I have made a tool to help. I took a foot long piece of 1/8" water pipe and put a grease gun coupler on one end and a grease fitting on the other end. If I had two grease guns I would just make it a permanet set up. I have made some tools for Wlakers and if you do a search under my login ID you will find them God luck

3. BCSteel

BCSteel LawnSite Senior Member

I just use a flex hose with a regular grease nozzle. Never had any problems yet. With the u-joint under the mower, I drive the mower up on a ramp and just reach under to get it. The rest are really easy, I thought.

4. Critical Care

You know, its amazing how many tools you need for the trade. I just bought a torque wrench for the Walker and now will have to change or modify the grease gun which doesn't have a flex hose. The air powered grease gun I heard about from other threads, but I'm a ways from having that set up.

It was after not being able to get the Walker up on a pair of car repair ramps that I figured there had to be an easier way.

5. BCSteel

For my ramps to get under the walker, I use 2 6' pieces of 2x8 placed on 2 12" cement posts. This way the rear tire under the hopper is on the ground and the front end is moving higher the farther you drive up the ramps and there is lots of open room under only 2 2x8s to work around.

6. GeeVee

GeeVee LawnSite Senior Member

Flex grease gun tubes can be bought to retro fit your hard tube shaft model you now have.

You must know the zerks are threaded so they could be replaced if one is knocked off. Zerks come in a few different thread sizes and MANY different shapes. Maybe a right angle zerk is what you need compared to the straight type that is installed and vice versa...... Or the 22.5*, or the extended type.

7. fixer67

What about the fittings down behind the drive wheels that are on the surport arms that hold up the deck? Did you know about them? Most people do not even know that those two fitting are even there.

8. Critical Care

Geeze, those fittings behind the drive wheels are going to be real buggers! Can't even touch them. Looks like a job where the wheels have to come off.

9. fixer67

That is the fitting I have been talking about. Here is what you do. Get a piece of 1/8" water pipe about 1 foot long. Buy a grease gun coupler and a 1/8" pipe coupling and a grease fitting that will screw into the pipe coupling. I have one I made at work that works great. I will post a picture of it Monday but here is how to make one. (I can not draw at all, sorry)

grease gun.jpg

10. BCSteel

This contraption that youre talking about is just a flex hose except its home made.