Walker guys?? should i sell my exmarks?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by IcutgrASS1, Jul 9, 2008.

1. IcutgrASS1

IcutgrASS1 LawnSite Member

Wondering who out there has an exmark lazer z, and a walker? which do you guys like better, im gonna be replacing my 6 lazer z's after 5 years with these machines, and all i see is everyone running around with those damn walkers! I keep thinking maybe im a little out dated here... so before i go buy 6 new lazers is the walker worth it over the exmark? i dunno the exmarks cut nice, they're not good at all in wet grass but what mower is? and they do have the draw back of the vac system on one side.. well let me know what you guys think thanks
  2. MileHigh

MileHigh LawnSite Silver Member

Scag's supposedly are amazing in the wet grass....

yea..my exmark's aren't the best in wet grass either...good thing I don't mow a lot of wet crap.

I personaly don't like the cut the walker's lay down, not to metion the stupid wheel they have in the middle of the rear of the mower...guess I'm not a fan of front mounts.

Looks like you should demo some scags.
  3. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

Depending on the size of the Exmarks, and whether you bag everything, the Walker may be a good choice. I would probably keep one or 2 of the Exmarks around for the big stuff, and use Walkers on the rest. Walkers bag the best of anything out there, and perform better than anything else I've ran in wet conditions.

A 48" Walker is not going to be as productive as a 48" midmount, but the cut and bagging will be better. A 48" Walker is probably going to be less money then a 48" midmount with a bagger system.
  4. MJB

MJB LawnSite Silver Member
    from Wa

Are you bagging if so I would consider the Walker or the Navigator made by Exmark. I've had 2 Walkers and 2 Exmark Lazer Z's if I were bagging a lot i would have kept the Walkers around. But I like to mulch and side discharge.
    Really depends on your situation. They are all good if used in the right application.
  5. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

The navigator is a much better machine than the walker if you want a walker style machine.
  6. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

It may move more grass in heavy growth but the QOC is NOT
    as good as the Walker. Talked to a outfit running both, when asked which cuts better both guys point at the Walker. Checked out the cut and the Walker definitely cuts cleaner. To move more grass than the Walker you have to move more air, more air to disturb the cut.
  7. tallimeca

tallimeca LawnSite Bronze Member

The decks on both machines are so similar, that it's really impossible to identify between the two cuts if you didn't know.......

You have two decks, similar sized blades, both counter rotating, with similar baffles underneath......... I've run them both and it's realy BS to say you can identify the cut of one to the other. I cut with a Walker today for a 1/2 hour diagnosing an electrical problem, right next to grass a customer cut with a navigator 2 days ago on a demo.......
  8. nosparkplugs

nosparkplugs LawnSite Gold Member

We were cutting a Shell gas station yesterday when a LCO made a point to stop a ***** about the Navigator; ironically he had all Exmark equipment minus the new Navigator he took it back, and was kicking himself in the ares for selling his Walker . I cannot speak for the Navigator cut quality, but their not any better than a Walker. We maintain 15 gas stations, and the Walkers are great for trash pick up alone, and we are always having some stop to ask about the Walker. We have sucked up so much crap in the last two seasons ie: coat hangers, plastic bottles, metal silverware on and on. According to some the Walkers plastic chute design is cheap, I beg to differ it's plastic design slows down the velocity as it enters the hopper, The Walker is one tough mower, and has not broke yet the Hopper Fill buzzer is still working too
  9. kellroy

kellroy LawnSite Member

the xmark is a great machine , but vac lacks the pull of the walker , i'd keep a least 1 x mark for tall , wet grass or something you won't put you walker through, also for leaves we run over them with the x and mulch as much as possible then use the walker to finish the job , works great for us
  10. johnnyusa

johnnyusa LawnSite Senior Member

Just got a walker and its great. ive had lazer z's they are good but the quality of cut is no comparison to a walker . suprisingly i cant belive how quick these littlle badgers are and when you cut you are done not like the lazers where on sprinkler lawns you have to triple cut,blow off clumps, lot more weedwhacking and blow off mulch beds full of grass.