walker homers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bababooie, Apr 2, 2001.

1. bababooie

bababooie LawnSite Member

how good does the deflector work,do you guys recommend the low profile tires,what grass collection cont.should i get 9 bushel?and finally single tail wide tire or no.

2. Turfer

Turfer LawnSite Member

Not sure about the low profile tires. Others on this forum say the 9.5 bushel catcher gets too heavy when full. The single tail wheel leaves a cleaner tire mark than the dual tail wheel when you are cutting tall soft grass like fescue.

3. Cleve

Cleve LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Rockmart, GA

Low profile tires are great. Best addition I have made to mine.
    I have a 94' diesel that has the old style hopper and I know it gets heavy when full. I do wish I had the bigger hopper in the fall for leaves.
    Mine has the dual tail wheels and I have to assume that the dual wheels might do less damage to soft turf when you make them swivel.
    I have no idea what you mean by "deflector"?
    Cleve.

4. captdevo

captdevo LawnSite Senior Member

The deflector works fine, but I just leave the hopper door open (watch low branches and fences)

I prefer the 9.5 for capacity, I've never had any problem with weight with damp grass, I use it most for clean ups.

I like low profile A/T tires best for lower center of gravity and better traction on hill sides.

The wider tail wheel seems to work best for hill sides and tracks less noticeably.

5. bababooie

bababooie LawnSite Member

thanks, i knew you guys would pull thru for me.

6. Grapevine

Grapevine LawnSite Member

I bought 2 deflectors last year and they work better than just opening up the hopper door. Can you live without them, yeah but I'm glad I have them.
    I've used low profile and high profile tires and both have advantages and disadvantages.I bought a new Walker last summer and kept the low profile on it. The 2 guys that work for me like the high profile all terrain,
    who the Hell knows. In terms of capacity the 9.5 is the way to go. Less trips to the truck or woods to dump, much more productive mowing and at clean-up time.

7. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

I would recommend the 7 bu catcher over all, it gets heavy. I switched from a single tail wheel to the double. There is less damage turning when catcher is getting full. I will switch to the wide low profile tires when mine wear out. I would only use the A/T tires with the plow or blower.

Gene

8. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

Grapevine :: What part of Massachusetts are you located in??

Gene

9. JJ Lawn

JJ Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

A good argument for the dual rear tires... If one of them goes flat you can still make it back to your trailor a lot easier that if you had the single flat.

Jim