Walker Hydro's

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by walker1, Sep 4, 2006.

1. walker1

walker1 LawnSite Member

I have a 1996 walker with a 27hp kubota liquid cooled engine. The problem I'm having is the wheel motors they are the originals and they just won't seem to climb the hills anymore (flat ground is fine). Are they just worn out or is there something else that could be the problem. If they're worn out should I get them rebuilt( if so where) or replace with new. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

2. tomo

tomo LawnSite Senior Member

hello, walker hydros not servicable as far as i am aware.When they r showing signs of slowing u can only replace them.Available J-Thomas.Check pulley condition and belt condition ,rectify as required b4 u rightoff hydros as being at fault. Walker have changed pulleys, tensioners ,springs etc a few times in order to rectify this.Check 4 upgrades they do improve the situation . IMO this is what happens when u feed 25/26 hp into 8hp belt. TOMO:waving: PS;walker 27hp???????????? most likely 20.9hp D722 kub diesel [722cc].. HOURS ?????? MODEL MD???

3. AAELI

AAELI LawnSite Senior Member

Walker hydros are Eaton's and are serviceable but no parts from Walker. Most often sluggish performance due to lack of oil changes or incorrect oil. Use Mobil Syn. 15W-50W. I usually drain and clean overflow cups before adding new oil. They can be removed by turning clockwise (LHT) with a 13/16 socket. Check the odor of old oil and as Tomo stated check belts, pulleys and tension springs.

Let us know how it goes.

20.9 Kubota as Tomo stated. I have one in the showroom now with European deck.

4. JJ Lawn

JJ Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

It could be as simple as a worn drive belt..... or expensive as a hydro.

When mine was having a problem pulling hills, I found that the pulleys were worn. I replaced the engine pulley and the pulley on the PTO gear box. Also changed the pulley on the jack shaft, and of course the belt.

It will now pull those hills like a champ.

My 1996 model still runs good....... and never have had any problems with hydros... knock on wood. :)

5. JJ Lawn

JJ Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

Walker also made a model MDG 21hp Kubota which was a gas engine in 1996. Maybe he means this one?

6. tomo

tomo LawnSite Senior Member

hello, as u have stated but only serviceable to a point. Oil change yes plus seal and o rings but i have never seen internal parts available. Do u know where u can purchase internal parts?? Tomo

7. AAELI

AAELI LawnSite Senior Member

You are correct. I have never attempted to locate internal parts. I would think that you could contact Eaton for that info.. I have disassembled several to get parts (cannabalize) to repair others. Primary reason is I am real cheap when it comes to my own gear.

I have a manual at the shop Tomo. I'll be into work sometime in the next hour and will look for it then to give you what info I can. Just depends on how quick I get repairs out of the way before I get online again.

8. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

you can call eaton and talk to the tech person to help you. I did this about 5 years ago and they also sold me parts. I don't have the numbet to eaton but a search on google should do it. Eaton model 7 hydrostatic transmission

but since both sides are weak i bet its a belt issue
    make sure both of your hydro dump valves are fully closed too

9. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

Eaton is funny about their pumps. They will NOT sell you anything for the inside of them. All you can get are oil seal and input shaft and bearing. You may be able to get the guts to an Eaton pump but not from them and they would sh** a hydro pump if they found out some one was sell such parts. An Eaton tech told me that you have to have a two ton press to put an Eaton pump back together because of the pump spring on the pistons. The only reason does not weld the pumps together is they may have to take one apart for warranty reasons. And some Eaton model pumps may be welded in the near future. I have be on the phone a few times with them.

10. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

swash plate was cracked a new one sent from eaton (may have been sent through a distributor) but the order was originated from eaton 5 years ago. i think his name was tony. probably in the unemployment line by now. i haven't called eaton since.