1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Walker - Kohler 25 hp Bogs Down Intermittently

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by mcambrose, Nov 2, 2004.

1. mcambrose

mcambrose LawnSite Senior Member

I have a walker with 25hp kohler, 1,600 hrs. The head gasket replaced about 10 hrs ago and the valves lapped. It starts fine cold and seems to have great power. Somethimes however, it will bog down while you are mowing like the choke has been engaged. The blades slow. Sunday I found some water in the fuel filter, so I drained the tank and replaced the filter. I checked the carb bowl and it had some trash, but no water. I cleaned out the trash and then ran it. It seemed to run fine. Yesterday a worker used it again and it started bogging down again, but it comes and goes. He mentioned that it often started when he turned up hill. The engine doesn't sputter, it just bogs down. Could there be a drop or two of water in the carburetor jets. I checked and the fuel filter doesn't have any drops of water now.

2. rockytopp

rockytopp LawnSite Member

I has been my exsperience when ever water is found, replace filter, water does not clean well after soaking in and of course gas does not remove water. So I would change all filters, blow the tank and lines with air, and clean the carb. It sounds like a little work but compared to down time and a workers labor............. I always add some heet to my gas cans when ever the weather starts its fall changing. condensation will raise hob with fuel systems, just an added precaution that pays off in down time. :angel:

3. mcambrose

mcambrose LawnSite Senior Member

Do the symptoms sound like water problems?

4. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

Yea it probibly is a water problem.

5. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

Your problem could also be electrical. A hanging wire that has been rubbing and has chafed through. At the right angle it could short out.

Gene