Walker Kohler 25hp Running 1 Cylinder

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by mcambrose, Aug 24, 2004.

1. mcambrose

mcambrose LawnSite Senior Member

I have a Walker 1999 with a 25 hp Kohler (1,600 hours, well maintained). When I first start the engine and raise the throttle, the engine runs on one cylinder. After a minute or two the 2nd cylinder ususally kicks in. Once the 2nd cylinder kicks in the motor runs great (normal power and rpm). It seems to do this any time it is turned off, even if the engine is warm. Does anyone have suggestion on how to diagnose?

2. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

See if the plug is firing or not. The plug may not be firing and you have a ignition problem or the plug may be firing and the valve is sticking. Does you engine have Hydraulic Valve Lifters? If so one of the lifters could be sticking. If your engine does have Hydraulic Valve Lifters you MUST use 10W-30 engine oil. SAE 30 does not work well with Hydraulic Valve Lifters. Get two spark testers and check for fire on the plugs. Get the neon inline type if you can find them.

3. Green Care

Green Care LawnSite Senior Member

Fixer Master Tech I have a 25 kohler that the tach is jumping from 6100 to 3100 on one side what you think.

Really can't cut going up hill.

The other side is 3600 I think it's ok.

4. sawman65

sawman65 LawnSite Senior Member

one other thing that was not mentioned is the kohler has had a problem with the s.a.m. spark advance module. they go bad all the time have it checked out at the dealer.

5. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

What type of tach are you using? First one side can not be doing 6100 and the other side doing 3600. I am guessing the side that is giving the odd reading is the side the SAM is on. The SAM will mess up RF type tachs. You are going to get the same RPM readings on both sides unless you unplug the spark plug wire on the other side from the side you are testing. If you are using a RF type tach try to gets your reading as far from the SAM as you can. Are you using resistor type plugs? That is the reason for using resistor plugs is to cut now on the RFI caused by the ignition system.