Walker Kohler engine, what to replace w/ ?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by mexiking, Aug 26, 2007.

1. mexiking

mexiking LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

Hi, I want to replace a engine for a 48" Walker. The engine is a 48" Kohler command 20 CH20-64694. Can I put a bigger HP engine on it or do I have to put the exact same engine? The 25 Hp isn't that much higher priced than the 20 HP. The 25hp I was looking at is this: 25HP KOHLER COMMAND PRO CH730S CH730-0039. http://www.kohler-engine-parts.opee..._shipping_info&cPath=394_423&products_id=7708
    also, can I put a different type of engine as long as the shaft sizes are the same or does it have to be exactly the same type of engine? The people at my dealer say it has to be the exact same engine because anything else won't fit. THey also said I couldn't convert my pull start walk behind into a electric start (from 14hp to 20 hp) and I did... Have any of you done this? Thanks guys

2. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

You can put a 25HP in place of the 20HP but you will need to stay with a Kohler unless you can find an engine the takes power off the flywheel side like the Kohler does. Remember the Kohler engine in a Walker is in "backwards" from the way it would be in any other machine.

3. mexiking

mexiking LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

so I can use a 25hp kohler command like the one I put in the link than?

4. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

Remember I said that Walker engines are put in backwards? First you would have to remove the pulley and adapter from the flywheel of the engine you have and mount it on the new engine. The you would have to take a hacksaw and saw off the crankshaft of the new engine. Walker engines DO NOT have a out put crankshaft. The belt is ran off the flywheel. I do not feel right about this, I do not want to tell you wrong. I am not even sure the flywheel adapter from your old engine will fit the new engine. And sawing off a crankshaft just seem wrong. May some one else can help you. Sorry.

5. Lawdog302

Lawdog302 LawnSite Member

You can install model CH25S, Spec 68544 in your machine, this is the engine walker used for a while in there 25 air cooled units. This spec engine was meant for the belts to run off the flywheel side.