Walker/kohler trouble

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by NCL, Apr 20, 2005.

1. NCL

NCL LawnSite Member
    from NJ

I have a walker with a 16 hp kohler. It starts right up first thing in the morning, than without warning it stalls and will not start for a good 2-3 hours. Than it runs for a little while longer and stalls again. It cranks, but will not start. It has new spark plug, fuel filter, and air filter. Any ideas ??? Tahnks.
  2. David Grass

David Grass LawnSite Senior Member

Particles can get in the carb, and cause this, you gotta clean the whole carb to find out if indeed this is the problem.
  3. mcambrose

mcambrose LawnSite Senior Member

There can be a problem with the coil. remove the plug and then reattach the plug wire and hold the plug against the motor and turn the starter over to see if it has a good white or blue spark. If no spark then the coil may be bad. The dealer should be able to test the coil if you remove it.
  4. carolinacutter

carolinacutter LawnSite Member

Dirty carb...I just picked mine up for the same reason. I wouldn't keep trying to start it ....it'll only make it worse!!!! Mine eventually started spittin oil outta the carb......fun huh??
  5. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

Check the spark the very second the engine fails. The coil could be overheating and failing and then when it cools down be ok until it heats back up.
  6. NCL

NCL LawnSite Member
    from NJ

No spark when it stalls after it has been running. Dropped it off at the dealer to test the coil. Thanks guys.
  7. Jeff11

Jeff11 LawnSite Member

Had similar problems a while back. All it took was a good cleaning of the carb and a new plug. Good luck!