Walker Life Expectancy

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Bamafire1, Aug 16, 2004.

1. Bamafire1

Bamafire1 LawnSite Member

If it is maintained well, in terms of hours, what is the normal life expectancy of a Walker mower?

There is a guy near me who wants to sell his walker with about 2100 hours on it and he is asking around $2500. It is a 1999 model MT 20 hp 48 in. cut.

What do you think?

Thanks,
    Bamafire1

2. Mowing Freak

Mowing Freak LawnSite Senior Member
    from S.E. Ks

Depends on how the mower was treated. I would assume the motor on it is a Kohler which is a good motor so if it don't smoke when running, it should be fine for a while. There are walkers out there with up to 13000 hrs on them. No thats not a type-o. I would try to talk him down on price as I bought one with 690hrs on it and new deck for $3500. Don't know what it looks like so don't know what mower may actually be worth. One piece of advice. Look at the deck and blades real close and make sure deck isn't bent and blades are level.

3. dukester

dukester LawnSite Member

I've got a little over 700 hours on mine and it been ok. I've had safty switch problems 2 times I had to replace the blower about a month ago. That's because of alot of sandy areas we take care of. Sand eats them up. I can truly say that we get more jobs because of the way the yard looks after we finish than any amount we spend in the paper. With out a dought it has the best cut in the business. I'd love to have another one.

4. Bamafire1

Bamafire1 LawnSite Member

Thanks for the advice guys. I have wanted a walker for a long time. I just dont want the expense of buying a new one. Not right now anyway.

5. BCSteel

BCSteel LawnSite Senior Member

I'd look for one with less hours.

6. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

I have been told that Kholer 20 HP are rated for around 2000 hours. Price depends on availibity and condition,$2000.00 to $ 3000.00 is about book value in my area. My 1997 has almost 2900 hours and needs a new engin.

Gene

7. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

Bama, you have to start somewhere. Buy that one and put it for sale for $4000 if someone comes by with the money then sell it and take the money to buy a newer one. About this time around here Walkers start to get scarse and expensive to buy used. You can always lower the price and sell it. Of course I have 10 mowers and my wife is the only one who cuts so I may be full of shite on the selling part. It is a good theory though, I just can't seem to let them go.

8. MJB

MJB LawnSite Silver Member
    from Wa

Find out if thats the original engine and just plan on replacing it by 3000 hrs give or take. That engine is around $1500 but you should be able to make money with it, but make sure you demo it and see how it cuts etc.