Walker Low Profile Tires Good For Traction?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tglasslawncare, Feb 21, 2008.

1. tglasslawncare

tglasslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I just purchased a used Walker diesel 1994 model. I wanted to compare it to my toro z-master mid mount. In the fall I was using the walker and found it was not good for traction at all. Even the slightest slopes I would spin. The ground was rather damp all of fall in my area and I am not used to the machine yet. Anyway, I was thinking of purchasing low profile tires, rims, and adding fluid to wheels. Is this a good idea of should I keep the original more narrow tires and just add fluid to them? Do any more experienced walker owners have advice? I love the way the mower cuts and trims. Thanks for your help.

2. Blueribbonlawns

Blueribbonlawns LawnSite Senior Member

The low pro's wont help much for traction if you need traction get the nobby tires you just have to be careful on the grass.

3. Blueribbonlawns

Blueribbonlawns LawnSite Senior Member

These will give you some traction

tire-allterrain.jpeg

4. tb8100

tb8100 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from TX

those are a fairly turf friendly ATV tire. Just be careful with them....

I've been looking at the Carlisle HD Field Trax. They strike me as being a fairly turf-friendly tire. Maybe see if you can get Dixie Chopper Turf Boss tires in your mower's size?

5. Lawdog302

Lawdog302 LawnSite Member

+1 great tires

6. mcambrose

mcambrose LawnSite Senior Member

The low profile tires add some traction, but the diesel is pretty heavy. If I have much of a hill to climb, i just back up it. There is a common replacement tire for walker mowers that has all the treads lineup up perpendicular to the roll of the tire. I found these to be especially bad for traction. I have had much better luck from the original style tires. I can't drive my Walker well enough to use the knobby tires unless it is very dry.

7. tb8100

tb8100 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from TX

are those the same diameter as the old ones?

8. Lawdog302

Lawdog302 LawnSite Member

They are the same as the low profile turf tire. The walker part# for tire only is 8070-7. Don't know the price of them though.

9. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

The AT tires run about $85 each I believe. Yes, you have to have the low profile rims to use them. Rims cost $65 each, and standard low-pro tires are $65 each.

I asked around at my dealer, and they tell me that very few people run the AT tires (ie. they sell only a few sets a year). I have also asked a couple people that DO use them and they said that they were out a LOT faster than the standard tread. You also have to be more careful when turning to not rip up the turf, though I was told it's really not as bad as you may think.

The low-pro wheels DO give much better traction to the machine. Iv'e used both, back to back and can vouch for that. Now, a Walker mower, no matter what tire, will not have the traction of a midmount (and yes, there are exceptions, like using a 52" SD deck). I just bought a new set of low profile wheels/tires for my machine. Lot of money for the upgrade! I really wanted to go with the AT tires, but I also didn't want to risk scarfing up my nice lawns I like to use the machine on. I only have a couple places with ditches that were difficult anyway.

10. lawnrangeralaska

lawnrangeralaska LawnSite Senior Member

you need to sit on the edge of the seat. hit the hills with speed to give you momentum. when the tires start spinning pull back on the speed control slowly then get back on the power. its mainly done with feel.