Walker low profile tires

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by gardenpro, Apr 19, 2003.

1. gardenpro

gardenpro LawnSite Member
    from -

I'm looking at purchasing an MT 20hp 48" deck this coming week. Does anybody have experience with both the stock and Low Profile tires?
    Does it make much of a difference on soft grass? Is speed effected, and does the engine need to work harder? Is one harder on the lawn during turning at all?
    Thanks for your help.
    Also, for the tail wheel lock, with it would I be able to cut lines significantly straighter than without?
  2. Huften Lawn Care

Huften Lawn Care LawnSite Member
    from CT

I am not sure about the tire diff. Used my new Walker 48" 26 e.f.i. for the first time this week. Awesome! I also got the tail wheel lock and if you have any hilly areas it does make a diff. However, I dont think it is all that necessary for making straighter lines. Good luck.
  3. landscaper3

landscaper3 LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes the low profile tires ride better and give better hillside stablity. You will need the spacers if you install them, which most times come with kit. We have tail locks on all our Walkers. They also give greater hillside stability.
  4. The Plant Poet

The Plant Poet LawnSite Member
    from Georgia

The low profile tires reduce tire flex and increase traction reducing the ponds per square inch. If minimizing damage is your goal, they are worth the investment.
  5. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

As long as you don't go to a 42" deck you will be fine. The lo pros make the tractor wider than the 42 deck so your trim edges will be in tighter that your well spread.
  6. gardenpro

gardenpro LawnSite Member
    from -

Thanks for your answers. That helps a lot. I assume there is no problem with a 48" deck then? Makes sense.