1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

WALKER... may be the ZTR mower for me.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by sydanna Lawn Care, Mar 7, 2008.

1. sydanna Lawn Care

sydanna Lawn Care LawnSite Member

Just when I thought I decided what ZTR mower I was going to buy, I went to my local Honda dealer to get a part for my HRC 216, & there was a Walker on the show room floor. I never considered them because first of all without seeing one up close I thought they were just a bit to weird, & second, we didn't have a dealer here ( well until now). Like I said, I alway's dismissed them because they are so different from the norm but the more I learned about them, the more interested I became. Couple things I loved about it was the ability to get at the deck with ease, & the fact that they are interchangable to any number of deck sizes. The highlift dump is pretty cool too. I have heard that they are slower, but mowing time is faster? I'd love to here from you owners out there.
  2. Blueribbonlawns

Blueribbonlawns LawnSite Senior Member

You WILL love it, I love mine and i wouldent consider getting anything else
    good luck
  3. Turf Dawg

Turf Dawg LawnSite Gold Member

I can not say enough good things about mine. The only withdraw would be that they are not very good on slopes. The way the deck can move up & down - left & right independent of the tractor they follow the ground like a 21". This is the best cutting mower for nice properties I have ever owned! I will always have my mid-mts for open and rough properties, but I have sold my walkbehinds.
  4. IN2MOWN

IN2MOWN LawnSite Platinum Member

Walkers have the best cut out there for ZTRs. I have used them before and the only thing I dont like is their durability. Compared to other ZTRs they just dont stack up.

But, the cut is second to none!
  5. sydanna Lawn Care

Most of the time I will be operating it myself & I look after my stuff. It won't be part of a fleet with a different people running it throughout the season. So, if I do get one, I hope it will handle the wear & tear.
  6. IN2MOWN

IN2MOWN LawnSite Platinum Member

I think for a one guy operation is can be a great versatile mower. Treat it well and it will last a long time. They just dont seem as bulletproof to me as others.

Good luck with it. Its a good investment especially in the fall with leafs.
  7. sydanna Lawn Care

Thanks, I love the versitility of the Walker. I think you're right, I basically have one employee & another when it's really busy. They do the trimming & the small area mowing while I have fun on the ride'm so perhaps it is a good choice for me. I'll probably hang on to my JD 345 for the rougher stuff & as a backup.
  8. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

These mowers are designed and built for high end properties than are very smooth and perfectly manicured and there is nothing on the market that will give a better cut on these type lawns.

Now if you have marginal or rougher properties; you need another brand mower, or if you can justify owning a Walker for your high end lawns and another zero turn for marginal to lower end properties, that is the way to go.

I just don't see Walkers taking the abuse some of the other zero turns can withstand.
  9. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I owned two Walkers for quite a few years. Both were operated by my helpers at least half the time, or more. Both had nearly 2000 troublefree hours on them when I sold them. I never had even one breakdown on either machine in the whole time I owned them. They do require more preventive maint. than a regular ZTR. However, if you take good care of them, they are very dependable.
  10. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I have owned a Walker since 1998 and my current machine is a 2000 26EFI 42 GHS and a 52 SD deck. The motor has over 1700 hours on it and is not burning a drop of oil. It will continue to be my #1 springtime clean up/ dethatch machine. Now if you have ever been involved in this type of work you know how dusty, gritty and rough spring lawns can be. The only thing I replaced of note is a starter at the end of last season. 1700 hours.
    As far as durability goes I have to say that I trailered it wrong and had to do soem body welding, the welds held but the constant unsecured bouncing did make metal cracks at a few points. Nothing the liquid hot wrench didn't fix.
    This machine makes me about 1/4 or my total income in 1 month because of its ability to do fast excellent dethatches and cleanups.
    I also now use a Toro Z with 62" cut for most of my daily mowing because I got a great deal on it and I can save my Walker for other stuff. The Walker is a great versitile machine and I think it is very durable. Keep up with maintenance as any other machine and it will perform for a long time. I have had no issues with seals, bearings, hydros or anything. I just do the maintenance when its needed and change oil dependent on conditions. There will always be a Walker in my company.