Walker Mb 48 Sd

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by foyman, Mar 8, 2008.

1. foyman

foyman LawnSite Member

I know the Walker mowers are rated very high, but are they worth the premiumn price? I'm looking at the MB 48" SD for $6000, with a 18 HP Vanguard... nice engine but maybe a little light for a 764 lb machine? The ride is also suspect in my opion with the 18" tires. What's the take with the folks that have tried them?
  2. lawnproslawncare

lawnproslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Whats important? Speed or Looks?
    The Walker is like to turtle and the rabbit;) The rabbit has the straight aways, but when you get into sneaking around fences and trees the turtle sticks out dashes around and your off again.
    In other words, how much time do you want with the string trimmer?
    With the walker you use it last, trim, edge, rake leafs/trash from beds, then mow and blow to add the finishing touch.
    Walkers are great! you just need to figure out what you need, then what is gonna sell the neighbor next to the lawn your on ;)

Just my two sence.
    If your me, go slower, people feel like they are getting there money worth. You do 150 mph on the big bad mid mount. People will give you the "I'm paying $50 for you to spen 30 minutes total?

The walker will allow you to eventually charge more for your services just because of the looks it leaves
  3. David Grass

David Grass LawnSite Senior Member

The MB does go faster than the other Walker's, except for the Super B that is now just out. The MB will do Hills better than the other mowers if you go with a 52 deck. I saw a guy with one, he said the rep helped him fit the 52 on there, I think with a coupler trick, but it works great. With a Walker, your hands are not really stuck in one movement day after day after day, like the other z mowers. I drive with 2 hands,then only my right hand, only my left hand, and actually sometimes no hands in big open areas, if you have never driven a Walker, they are a dream to drive.
  4. shade tree landscaping

shade tree landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

I have an MB with a 42inch mulch deck. Fits in any gate, no problems on hills, runs fast on open area. Only wish it that you can get a deck larger than the 52inch.
  5. foyman

foyman LawnSite Member

:hammerhead:Speed was not the issue when I said the Vanguard may be undersized...I was thinking more along the lines of torque for tall wet grass and/or slopes.
  6. bigclawn

bigclawn LawnSite Senior Member

plenty of power!! The shaft drive system requires a bit less Hp than mule belt sytems and the design of the machine itself requires less HP to move itself in comparison with larger mid mounts.
    Tere's a guy in NY with one for sale at a great price--almost showroom new!
  7. bart may

bart may LawnSite Senior Member
    from montana

I have the mb with a 56" deck and it cuts great. Like bigclawn said a shaft drive uses less hp. It's really surprising how well it cuts tall grass and the timed blades don't leave any stringers to worry about. Go for it!! They don't do real well in the wet stuff though, but I still like mine.
  8. edward hedrick

edward hedrick LawnSite Senior Member

I own a Walker Mb w48 sd. Its a 2006 w mag clutch.

Biggest problem w 48 sd deck is deck balance. I added

12# 4 1/2x2x17 pieces steel. Deck cuts alot better. I

like the machine very light. no scuffing. It has more ground
    clearence than mt-20. I will demo the 56" deck this year. I bought the deck height adjuster, Needs a better seat.
  9. edward hedrick

edward hedrick LawnSite Senior Member

Bart May: I have similiar problems in wet grass. I will do

some blade studies this year. After market blades are thinner than OEMs. They range from .140 for JThomas mulch, .160 for hi lift, .187 for Oregon blades, and .204
    for Walker OEM. Ed
  10. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

Others have said this, too !!