Walker MB or MCSD with mulch deck

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by martyman, Apr 4, 2008.

1. martyman

martyman LawnSite Member

I can pay close to the same price for either a Walker MB with a Briggs 18hp with side discharge or a slightly used MCSD that has a Kohler 20 but only comes with a mulching deck...I'm really torn about buying a Mulch only deck...I have a Toro 21" with a mulch and I know how much more work and wear and tear it is on the machine when the grass is wet....Any advise would be great. My main concern is that the MB drive train is not upto the quality of the MCSD and I can struggle with the mulch deck until I can afford a Side discharge deck...:dizzy:

2. Lawdog302

Lawdog302 LawnSite Member

I've always heard good things about the MB drive train. If the price is the same, I would go the MC if it is like new. That will give you more attachment options. Both are good machines. I wouldn't want the mulch deck though. I would get a 52" or 62" on it.

3. edward hedrick

edward hedrick LawnSite Senior Member

I have 2 walkers an 06 Mb w 48sd, and a MT20 Ghs w48"deck. The b is very light 500 # . It will do 8 mph. Price
    5700 new. The b is shorter than MT. The 20 Koh is better
    Hard choice. You can use the 52sd and 62sd decks on mc
    not on Mb. Only 48 sd and 56sd on mb. Ed

4. martyman

martyman LawnSite Member

I kept waiting to see if anyone would answer and I called and confirmed the MB with a 42" side discharge. I was really really wanting the MC...but having to buy another deck right away on top of the cost of a used machine was too much so in with the new....thanks for your replies and I will post pics when I get it.

5. bart may

bart may LawnSite Senior Member
    from montana

I have an mb with a 56" and have 750 hours on it. It works well.

6. martyman

martyman LawnSite Member

that is great to hear...I'm the only person going to be using mine and I'm sure it will do what I want. Would like if someone could post a video on Youtube of an MB in action.