Walker MB or Wright Sentar?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by martyman, Apr 1, 2008.

1. martyman

martyman LawnSite Member

I've been using a Gravely 34Z for years now and I'm looking for something different that will have a nice cut. I only put 500 hours on my Gravely in 3 or 4 years so I don't require a super heavy duty machine. I'm considering these two machines and would like some help picking. Both Machines are in the $6000 to $7000 range. I mainly do small to 1/2 acre properties on my own and need a reliable simple machine that does a nice cut. I'm really leaning towards the Walker if not for the Briggs motor...The Sentar is a Kawi 17 and the Walker is a Briggs 18.

[​IMG]

Walker MB

Pro's

Out front deck
    quick to get off and very simple design
    Walker cut should be very nice/floating deck

Cons

Briggs motor
    quality of the components?

[​IMG]

Wright Sentar

Pro's

takes up less room on a trailer (not really a big deal for me).
    Fast
    Very well built

Cons

Too fast?
    Cut might not be as good as Walker
    I think it looks silly standing or sitting on that giant motorcycle seat thing
    might scalp and leave ruts

2. Blueribbonlawns

Blueribbonlawns LawnSite Senior Member

I would go with the walker trust me your dealer has alot of room to move on that price!
    the walker will cut about the same as a stander and do about the same on hills But i like the walker alot more.

3. bigclawn

bigclawn LawnSite Senior Member

The Walker! Don't let that Briggs fool you---it's putting out 29 ft/lbs torque. The controls will be a lot easier on you. Walker list for MB with a 42 or 48" deck--6,670+/- and a good dealer/customer relationship should have you on that in the 6,100 range.

Our MB now has 980 hrs in just over 2 seasons and is just humming right along with very little maintenance time, and the principal operator is just shy of 200 lbs!

4. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

Are you discharging or mulching with that MB? What types of grass and what cutting height range?

Does this model have the option of a quick adjust deck height, or is the standard 4 pins?

Any downsides that come to mind on the Walker MB?

5. martyman

martyman LawnSite Member

Thanks for the info...some dealers here want $7000 plus the deck and tax...just insane how they lose business because the mark the price way too high and no one would consider that machine. The lowest price I've got is $6600 with deck.

6. bigclawn

bigclawn LawnSite Senior Member

Check out the RE-POWER commercial shop in Indpls--well worth the drive. MB with 48 on his floor this morning for $6,145. Good people.

We use a 48" SD deck on a pure residential & HOA run. The operator is partly disabled and does not trim--mows all day long and the rest of us trim along behind him.

Th quick adjust thing is overpriced. The 4 pin unit works well--we rarely ever change height and it only takes a minute when we do no big deal. I would never want a customer to see we could change height in a flash!! Set it and forget it!

Downside??-Well more of a slight learning curve as the controls are different at first and it takes a few jobs to learn how to control your speed properly for a given condition.

Upside----low running costs---less trimming---easy maintenance---choice of decks---WALKER quality---

7. martyman

martyman LawnSite Member

Thanks Big Clawn...I've used the Walker years before back when the first generation came out. I think it had a small 13 or 16 hp motor with a box and I remember the machine getting plugged...10 years back? I can't remember. I was considering crossing the border to buy one but I would rather find a local dealer if I can get a proper price.

8. Danielslawnservice

Danielslawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

i personaly think the look of walkers are old and sh**y looking and i would personally go w/ the wright but i might end up getting a walker i haven't tried either so i wouldn't wack it till u try it.

9. martyman

martyman LawnSite Member

I'm old and sh#$tty looking :laugh: so it will be fine

10. edward hedrick

edward hedrick LawnSite Senior Member

I own 2 Walkers an mt-20 and an Mb w 48sd the deck flips,

easy to clean or change blades. Mb will do 8 mph. I have the height adjuster , I like it, expensive but I can raise deck from seat. Would like a deck raiser. It needs a better
    seat. Ed