Walker MC engine swap

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by lucforce, Apr 7, 2006.

1. lucforce

lucforce LawnSite Member

Has anyone replaced a ohc Triad Kohler in a Walker Model C with another egine design? If so, what mods (if any) were needed?

2. Ray&Christine

Ray&Christine LawnSite Member

Let me guess, your 16hp Kohler blew(like many, many others). I'm not sure if this is any help but I upgraded my 16 to a 18hp Kohler. Walker has an up grade kit for it but I think it. The kit was about $400 if I remember correctly.

3. lucforce

lucforce LawnSite Member

No, my 16 is ok for now. But, I am at 1200 hours. When it does give up I want an engine sitting in the corner ready to "bolt in." I love the novelty of the ohc engine and have ever since kohler first sent out info on it in 1995.

In the Walker, I do not love this engine so much. If the engine were on a mid-size walk behind it would be one thing.

The engine was never designed to be rebuilt, not that many people rebuild small engines. When my engines start getting tired, I rebuild them. Once my hands have been through one, they are more powerful and smoother than they ever were coming off an assembly line. But, this is just not a feasible option for the triad ohc engine.

I would also like to have the option of running larger decks, an perhaps a few of the walker implements later down the road. So, I would need more engine.

The new Walker C has an 18 Command. The previous edition used the 18 triad and had the same part number for the frame of the machine as the new one. My model is slightly older and has a different part number for the frame.

Not knowing the difference in the frame and other misc parts, I must assume that there is some interference issue somewhere for attempting to use a different engine, even if we speak of using a command.

4. lucforce

lucforce LawnSite Member

What did this kit that you purchase include?
    Did you replace with an 18 command?