Walker MC vs MT (is 2hp a big deal)

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawnkeeper, Feb 20, 2005.

1. Lawnkeeper

Lawnkeeper LawnSite Member
    from NJ

went to new dealer and saw the walkers. big price difference between the two models. The only difference I noticed was the hp.

Am i missing something?

Does 2hp make that much of a difference? I would run a 42ghs nothing larger. Do I need the MT model

2. battags

battags LawnSite Senior Member

I've been wondering the same thing. I'm looking at a 23hp Kaw or 25hp Kohler for a new machine. Other than the $$ I'm not sure it's THAT big of a deal, is it?? Input anyone?

Brian

3. topcat

topcat LawnSite Member
    from Bflo

Just curious, what were the two different prices that you got

4. Lawnkeeper

from NJ

05' MT 42 ghs w/ 9.5 bushel 8999 up 300 from last year, due to steel increase

05' MC 42 ghs w/ 9.5 bushel 7830 last years prices, don't know this years prices, waiting for this years price

5. Aaron Marshall

Aaron Marshall LawnSite Member

I would have to say the biggest perk of going to the MT would be to keep your options open. You can get bigger decks, more implements and so on. I think that they are also built more for the proffessional than a home owner. I have a MT 20hp and I wish I would have got the diesel or the 26hp. Good luck. Aaron

6. Lawnkeeper

from NJ

I understand what you are saying Aaron, I am thinking the same thing. But nowhere does it mention homeowner. Model C is for "commercial and Institutional Use"

Do you know of anything specific, other than the motor, that is different?

7. edward hedrick

edward hedrick LawnSite Senior Member

Koh makes 18, 20 and 22 hp all same displacement.
    624 cc. 23hp 674 cc, 26 724 cc. Check all the differences.

I have a 01 MT-20. Ed

8. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

There are quite a few differences in the spec comparison and you may find that at Walkers website. The differences are not huge and the mower will cut grass but I personally own a 26EFI and would never go any smaller. I run a 42GHS deck in the spring for cleans and the 52SD w/doubles for the mowing season.
    The MT has bigger wheels a better electrical system and some smaller differences as well as the more hp. no the difference between 18 and 20 aren't huge but there is a huge difference in the 18 to the 26. Run your numbers and in the long run I think you would do better with the higher HP model T if you do any kind of volume. Just my opinion for you. Good Luck.

9. Lawnkeeper

from NJ

thanks for the imput. I am going to think about this some more :D

10. dwc

dwc LawnSite Senior Member

does anyone know how much more the 26efi is than the 20hp? I only looked at the 20hp at my dealer so I was just wondering if its much more. I am sure the diesel is way more probably??