1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Walker MDD price

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by corriepick, Aug 18, 2014.

1. corriepick

corriepick LawnSite Member

Hi all

I'm looking at a new Walker MDD GHS here in New Zealand and I think I'm getting shafted on price.

Quote here is USD $35,400 (yes, that's right) for an MDD GHS with 42in deck, high dump and manual deck lift fitted.

Over here we use a "eurodeck" from Walker to allow lower cutting; not sure if that's available in the US.

What do you guys pay in the US? I might make a purchasing trip (and vacation) if it's worthwhile.

Cheers

2. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

I don't think we have an MDD.
    MD21d is the model here.
    it's probably comparable.

We cannot get a Eurodeck, although many american guys that know about them are jealous.

The diesel walker is not a popular platform here.
    Hi lift dump is also not common (although anyone CAN get it)

The standard MT GHS here in Alaska, with a 48" deck is $15,000 USD.
    That comes with a 23hp gas engine.

To add diesel I could only guess its a $21,000 USD price tag.
    Add Eurodeck and Hi-lift dump and now you're looking at something that could be $26,000 USD?

A mechanical deck lift is not a very expensive addition.

So my guess is that machine, here is $26,000-$28,000 equivalent.

However, you CANNOT get a eurodeck here.
    IT would cost 5-7,000 just to ship it, and may have some different customs/environmental considerations from one country to the other.
    So that 26k machine can become a 36k machine fast, especially with round trip airfare.

3. corriepick

Cheers mate; Sorry the new model is a MD21d; I had MDD stuck in my mind from my other mowers. I have a quote for shipping from CA to New Zealand of around $1,000 so not too bad and I can buy a deck locally if need be.

Not concerned about loss of warranty, the kubota engines never die and it's unlikely anything major will fail in the first two years. I have a 2008 MDD with 5600hrs on the clock...

Probably still enough price difference to take the mrs to Vegas for a week!

4. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

It cost me $2,000 to $2,500 to ship a machine like that from the continental US to Alaska. I fail to see how you can get it all the way to a foreign country far more distant for half that?

5. corriepick

Seems cheap I know, but it's a written quote from a large freight company so I'll trust it...

6. windflower

windflower LawnSite Bronze Member

Shipping quotes can be all over the place. I looked at getting a boat from the UK a few years ago and was surprised at the price range. My MD was $16K 3 years ago. A price in the 30s sounds awfully high.

7. corriepick

Yeah I know. I rang a dealer in CA this morning, he quoted me $18k without the high dump. Even allowing for $3-5k for the high dump kit there is still a massive difference in price.

If I were to travel to make the purchase I would still end up having to buy another eurodeck locally for the machine but with the savings on the mower and extra parts I was considering buying would more than make up for it.

New Zealand is a nice place to live but it certainly comes at a cost!

Maybe I should give up mowing and become an importer...

8. Armsden&Son

Armsden&Son LawnSite Silver Member

Can we talk more about the Eurodeck?

9. corriepick

Sure. What would you like to know?
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. corriepick