Walker MDD price

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by corriepick, Aug 18, 2014.

1. corriepick

corriepick LawnSite Member

Hi all

I'm looking at a new Walker MDD GHS here in New Zealand and I think I'm getting shafted on price.

Quote here is USD $35,400 (yes, that's right) for an MDD GHS with 42in deck, high dump and manual deck lift fitted.

Over here we use a "eurodeck" from Walker to allow lower cutting; not sure if that's available in the US.

What do you guys pay in the US? I might make a purchasing trip (and vacation) if it's worthwhile.

Cheers

2. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

I don't think we have an MDD.
    MD21d is the model here.
    it's probably comparable.

We cannot get a Eurodeck, although many american guys that know about them are jealous.

The diesel walker is not a popular platform here.
    Hi lift dump is also not common (although anyone CAN get it)

The standard MT GHS here in Alaska, with a 48" deck is $15,000 USD.
    That comes with a 23hp gas engine.

To add diesel I could only guess its a $21,000 USD price tag.
    Add Eurodeck and Hi-lift dump and now you're looking at something that could be $26,000 USD?

A mechanical deck lift is not a very expensive addition.

So my guess is that machine, here is $26,000-$28,000 equivalent.

However, you CANNOT get a eurodeck here.
    IT would cost 5-7,000 just to ship it, and may have some different customs/environmental considerations from one country to the other.
    So that 26k machine can become a 36k machine fast, especially with round trip airfare.

3. corriepick

Cheers mate; Sorry the new model is a MD21d; I had MDD stuck in my mind from my other mowers. I have a quote for shipping from CA to New Zealand of around $1,000 so not too bad and I can buy a deck locally if need be.

Not concerned about loss of warranty, the kubota engines never die and it's unlikely anything major will fail in the first two years. I have a 2008 MDD with 5600hrs on the clock...

Probably still enough price difference to take the mrs to Vegas for a week!

4. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

It cost me $2,000 to $2,500 to ship a machine like that from the continental US to Alaska. I fail to see how you can get it all the way to a foreign country far more distant for half that?

5. corriepick

Seems cheap I know, but it's a written quote from a large freight company so I'll trust it...

6. windflower

windflower LawnSite Bronze Member

Shipping quotes can be all over the place. I looked at getting a boat from the UK a few years ago and was surprised at the price range. My MD was $16K 3 years ago. A price in the 30s sounds awfully high.

7. corriepick

Yeah I know. I rang a dealer in CA this morning, he quoted me $18k without the high dump. Even allowing for $3-5k for the high dump kit there is still a massive difference in price.

If I were to travel to make the purchase I would still end up having to buy another eurodeck locally for the machine but with the savings on the mower and extra parts I was considering buying would more than make up for it.

New Zealand is a nice place to live but it certainly comes at a cost!

Maybe I should give up mowing and become an importer...

8. Armsden&Son

Armsden&Son LawnSite Silver Member

Can we talk more about the Eurodeck?

9. corriepick

Sure. What would you like to know?
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. corriepick