walker model b, changing blades?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by shade tree landscaping, Jul 22, 2007.

1. shade tree landscaping

shade tree landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

I have a walker model b with the mulch deck. The blades are not straight, they are bowed up. Wondering if anyone knows if I can change the blades to regular walker blades, or even an after mkt blade, just a regular straight one. I would post a pic of them to show people what I mean but I do not know how to upload a pic on here.

2. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

And why are you wanting to change them? I kinda thought they used a double blade set-up on their muclch decks?

3. shade tree landscaping

no its a single blade on each side, and it has the "bump" up on the end of each blade. Not happy with how it cuts, wondering if there are any other blades out there to put on there

4. shade tree landscaping

5. All_Toro_4ME

All_Toro_4ME LawnSite Bronze Member

Might try the gators or magna.

6. shade tree landscaping

thanks for the tip ALL TORO, i'm gonna look into that. Very surprised that no one else has any input in this, espically seeing just how widely used Walker mowers are.

7. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

That is probably because most of us use Walker blades......they seem to work just fine that is why I asked about why you were looking for change.

8. shade tree landscaping

the blades in the pic are walker blades, the ones that came with the mower. I'm just no happy with the cut b/c of the "bows" in the blade the lawn is cut un-even, cut in the way of the blade is shaped and thus causing every lawn to be double cut.

9. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

That is what mulch blades are supposed to look like.....if it wasn't shaped like that it would no let the grass drop down and the unit would stall. I am not sure how many guys use those mulch decks...maybe you found out why not widely used. Are you cutting tall grass or wet conditions?

10. edward hedrick

edward hedrick LawnSite Senior Member

I have a Walker Mb w 48 sd deck. I had a problem with deck balance

the SD is heavier on the right. I added 10# to the left side. Used a scale

to measure. Almost even. Cuts 100% better. Check down force on each side

w bathroom scale. The manual says 15-25# Ive got mine at 35#.

Walker's fix is longer eye bolts on the springs. Also try J>Thomas. they

sell gator blades for Walker. Ed