Walker Model B on hills?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Precision Lawns, Sep 7, 2006.

1. Precision Lawns

Precision Lawns LawnSite Senior Member

Does anyone have any expirience with this particular walker mower on hills? I want to hear about this specific mower please. I mow alot of hills right now with WB's and am looking for advice.
  2. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

Walkers are too s-l-o-w. It has been my experience that they are not fast enough and their quality of cut, especially on hills, has a lot that could be improved on. Save your money and buy a Bolens form Lowes. Same quality, just a better cut. Actually, I am just kidding...I have no experience with Walkers...or Bolens. I'm just bored and I have a buzz so I am typing random crap. Sorry. But you have to admit it is rather comical.
  3. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

For hills, well Walkers are not fast hill machines. Yes you can do them, but usually not gracefully. They will do up and down, but not angles, sometimes you can only go up by turing around and backing up the hill... Some guys swear that a walker with a 52" or larger deck are like a goat on hills. Iv'e only ran a 48" GHS and a 36" GHS. Neither of which are good on hills. Like I said, they will do them, but you have to take it slow and easy on the sticks. Once you loose traction you are boned.
  4. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I don't think anyone here actually has the model B and I still remain 'floored' by that. I fell in love with the idea of this little mower the first time I saw it on the website.

But I have yet to understand 'why' you can't use the 52" deck with it and why they didn't build it so you could. I also don't understand why they don't offer some of the higher powered Vanguard engines on it also. I'm pretty sure all the way up to 23hp would fit.

Let me know what you find out about it and keep me informed if you buy one.
    Any idea on the asking prices for one?

5. Ron's Lawncare

Ron's Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

i love my walker it's the best bagging machine on the market.
    with that bieng said, if i was not bagging the walker wouldn't be in the top 5 machines. there are much better options for non bagging machines.
  6. Precision Lawns

Precision Lawns LawnSite Senior Member

I'm considering the MB (not GHS) for hills, I've heard that without the GHS holding it down they're a dream on hills. I'm just trying to get more opinions. Thank you for all your input.
  7. 2 clowns mowing

2 clowns mowing LawnSite Senior Member

walkers don't do hills they won't go forward up hills, but rich mfg, convertible mower. you can ride and if you can't hang on you can flip the handle back and walk behind it. comes with different decks including a brush cutting deck. they were offering last years models at 40% off thats a big savings. check out www.convertiblemowers.com call cathy she will take good care of you
  8. AAELI

AAELI LawnSite Senior Member

I have one! Don't do any hills yet so can't answer the question at the start of the thread. You can use the 56" deck with no problem. The belt drive decks, 52" & 62" are set up just enough different that this models construction will not make a good mate. This is a lower price point tractor for side discharge and mulching only. It does not have the Walker gear drive but a combo gear/hydro drive that may not prove to be quite as durable as their regular gear drives. Time will tell.

I have both a SD48" with breakaway blades and the new DML42A mulcher. I like the ease of use. A little bouncy on the sudden stops but otherwise seems to run faster than the Model T/25Hp I also have.

Prices out here reflect almost $1200 in freight and a 4% tax. This brings them to the $7K neighborhood. I would think they would be available in the states for around $5500 - $6500.
  9. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Hows the new Mulching deck working out??
  10. corey1977

corey1977 LawnSite Senior Member
    from maine

I have used walker for 5 years I dont care for there small size im a big guy and need room on the machine the ghs blower robs 2 horse power from the motor ie a 18 hours ghs has 16 with the bagging system