Walker model MB opinions

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by heebo, May 5, 2005.

1. heebo

heebo LawnSite Member

I am close to buying this mower with both the 42" mulching deck for my yard at home - 1/2 acre with lots of tight spaces and overhangs - and the 56" side discharge for a clean 5 acre lot. I would appreciate opinions of the overall durability of the mower and experiences using the 56" deck. My second choice would be the Ferris IS1500 with 23 HP Kaw and 48" deck. Thanks for your input.

2. kyoutdoorsyguy

kyoutdoorsyguy LawnSite Member

I bought a Walker 52" side discharge in 2000 solely for mowing my own home property. Its about 4 acres and I negotiate around approximately 60 trees. My Walker has proven itself an extremely durable machine. If you would like to email me privately, I'd be happy to detail my experiences, but I'd rather not advertise my stupidity to the entire forum (sheepish grin)

3. heebo

heebo LawnSite Member

Went ahead and bought the MB with the 42" mulching deck. Price was $5200 and change total $5600 out the door. I will be getting the 56" deck soon. I used the mower on my small residential yard and it is great. Plenty of power for the slopes and with the mulching deck I can trim easily with either side. Right now it's a new toy so my impressions are very favorable. I would suggest that those looking at the smaller mid mounts in the $4500-$6000 range might want to demo this model during their search. I was a bit concerned about the Briggs Vanguard engine but extensive Internet searching found the engine to be fairly highly regarded. So far it seems as smooth, quiet, and powerful as the other I demoed (Kaw., Honda, Kohler) I really can't understand why but I feel I can maneuver the Walker much more precisely than I could the mid-mounts which is a big plus for me. I will post any problems I encounter should they arise.

4. bigdaddyspags

bigdaddyspags LawnSite Member

What do you think about this mower now?