Walker Motor Replacement Advise

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by wacky zachy, Jun 18, 2008.

1. wacky zachy

wacky zachy LawnSite Member
    from mass

i am interested in replacing my Kohler 20HP motor in my 2000 walker MTGHS 48"DECK, the serial number off my walker is s/n 49193 and my spec # off my the motor is
    CH25S 68543 ?

Does this mean it was a 25hp even tho the makings on the machine say 20HP? I would like the most up to date motor that will fit in this machine can you help me. will the kohler 64660 fit and if so will i need to change anything like pulleys or not. the blower is now driven by a regular style "V" belt if that helps.

could you please get back to me thanks in advance.
  2. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

Call Walker direct and ask for tech support. Get your information first hand from the people who should know. They are very helpful.
  3. b121774

b121774 LawnSite Member

spec numbers are important in that they identify if that motor will fit that machine. Because of the unique configuration of motor needed for walker mowers due to crankshaft coming out of the front of the motor, it's very important the spec numbers match exactly. The 64660 will probably have a different crankshaft orientation than the 68543. Also be prepared to tap the holes in the bottom of the new engine as the are not tapped out of the box. Also the new engines will come with a bolt on pulley now and not a keyed shaft pulley so be prepared to purchase a new pulley.
  4. lubricity

lubricity LawnSite Member

Give Small Engine in Indiana a call. Give them the numbers. They will hook you up with the right engine.