Walker motor replacement??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawnworks, Sep 14, 2004.

1. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

I bought a Walker C-model mower w/ a blown engine for dirt cheap. It had a 16hp, but what is the biggest and best engine I can fit in there? Who is going to have the best prices?

2. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

J-Thomas has O.K. prices. I just bought a 17hp Kawasaki from them last week. Better price than a local shop and it got to my door in 5 days. And that was with a weekend in there.

3. ALCS

ALCS LawnSite Member

I have the same model and I checked into this last year. The only engine that fits in there is the kohler 16hp, reason is the drive shaft is on the oposite side than it would be in a regular tractor, Kohler even has a specific engine for this application.

The larger engines for this configuration require a different frame in the rear of the tractor than the c model has, because the engine is mounted differently.Therfore the PTO has to be changed, and if you have the electric PTO and blade brake it gets more complicated.

Alcs

4. ddthomas2

ddthomas2 LawnSite Member

Try tulsaenginewarehouse.com.

5. Oldtimer

Oldtimer LawnSite Bronze Member

There is a Vanguard upgrade for the MS and they are just about the same mower so that could be an option. You could use a 16 or 18 hp engine.

Oldtimer

6. okie mower

okie mower LawnSite Member

Walker has a change over kit to swap the 16hp for the 18.I had one done last year. Talk to your Walker dealer.

7. Stuttering Stan

Stuttering Stan LawnSite Bronze Member

Northern Tool sells Kohler engines, but its full retail price

8. RE-POWER!

RE-POWER! LawnSite Member

hI THERE

IF YOU HAVE A SINGLE CYL 16 HP THEN THAT IS THE ONLY ENGINE YOU CAN REPLACE IT WITH.

IF YOU HAVE THE 16 TWIN THEN IT HAS BEEN UPGRADED TO AN 18 AND YOU WILL NEED A CONVERSION KIT TO PUT THIS ENGINE IN.

IF YOU DO NOT KNOW THE CONDITION OF THE PUMPS AND EATON WHEEL MOTORS, YOU MIGHT WANT TO THINK HARD ABOUT PUTTING A NEW ENGINE IN IT. YOU COULD BE WORKING ON A REAL MONEY PIT. AL OT OF PEOPLE TRY TO SAVE MONEY AS A "DIY" THING, BUT THESE MOWERS ARE A BIT MORE COMPLICATED THAN YOUR AVERAGE RINKY TINK.

WE HAVE OVER 10 YRS EXP WITH THE WALKER MOWERS, AND WE ARE THE CENTRAL INDIANA WALKER DISTR. WE CAN BE REACHED VIA E-MAIL AT CLAWN@AOL.COM OR AT THE RE-POWER SHOP 317 547 6937.

OUR WEB SITE MAY ALSO BE HELPFUL WWW.RE-POWER.COM