Walker motor swap

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by iseegreen, Dec 10, 2007.

1. iseegreen

iseegreen LawnSite Member

I have a 1992 walker with the vtwin 16hp motor. Motor is bad. Everyone i talked to said that motor was junk in the first place. Im looking to put a 20hp or bigger Kohler motor in it. The estimates i have gotten from dealers around here are right at $3,000. Just wondering if anybody out there knows where i can get the engine and the kit (muffler, remote air filter) cheaper and do it my self.

2. DavidR

DavidR LawnSite Member

I think buying the engine from your local dealer is the only way your going to get it.

3. James Theodore

James Theodore LawnSite Member

You should be able to get a new engine for between $1200 and $1500 and very easy to install yourself. Do a search online for Kohler engines. Also, any small engine shop should be able to re-build your engine to like-new performance for less than $500.

4. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

try www.smallenginewarehouse.com

here's a link directly to the 20hp for walkers

http://smallenginewarehouse.com/pro...zontal+1+1+8+Shaft+Electric+Start+fits+Walker

turfeagle.com

http://www.turfeagle.com/products/kohler.html

here's one on ebay... i don't think this muffler will work with your mower though.

the only thing i am seeing is you have to have the pulley assembly that bolts up where the flywheel cover is. i am sure you can get that, a muffler and the air filter housing from your dealer.

5. JHLC

JHLC LawnSite Member

You are going to have to cut the crankshaft off if you don't get an engine that has walker's specs. Each manufacturer has there own spec number for their engine. The walker spec has the crankshaft cut off flush with the case and has the pulley mounted on the fan side of the engine.