Walker Mower and mulch cutting

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Scott's Lawn Maintenance, Aug 4, 2007.

1. Scott's Lawn Maintenance

Scott's Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Senior Member

Is anyone using the mulching deck with your walker mower
    and what kind of results are you getting.
  2. mdlwn1

mdlwn1 LawnSite Silver Member

Not many people use them...a lot of money for an extra deck that doesn't work like you would think. Get a used walkbehind for the sam money and mulch with that.
  3. corey1977

corey1977 LawnSite Senior Member
    from maine

on the 52 inch walker deck you can get the mulch baffels as a option
  4. AAELI

AAELI LawnSite Senior Member

I use the 42" DML42A deck that has the heavy duty gearboxes on my Walker for all my jobs. I also have a Side Discharge 48" with breakaway blades for the rougher areas I sometimes get asked to mow. Our rainfall is in excess of 100" a year so I often mow in wet grass and in the rain. I have been satisfied with the cut and the maintenance requirements of this deck. I have had a few experiences where wet, matted up clumps of cut grass drop off the underside of the deck and bring everything to a halt as I clean out the underside of the deck. If I pay attention and stop when I hear the change in sound of mowing I can eliminate that problem.

All in all I am satisfied with the cut and performance of the deck. Worth the investment to not have to dispose of clippings and reduce fertilizer requirements for the lawns.

Keep looking up!
  5. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

I demoed a brand new Walker 42" mulch deck last week. Bad,Bad, Bad, I was disappionted. On my lawn it did not cut all the grass in the center of each blade. Went to another lawn with a mix of grass/clover, it was quite wet, made a very big mess. The deck clogged up and gobs of wet cut material fell off in piles. The dealer said that with a mulch deck, the grass needs to be cut often, like only an inch at a mowing. Not for me.......
  6. mcambrose

mcambrose LawnSite Senior Member

I just bought a used (2004) mulch deck. I used it this weekend on about 20 bermuda and zoysia yards. I really liked it. Every once in a while I had to double cut a thick area. We even ran over lots of magnolia leaves and it cut them up so fine I didn't have to bag. So far I am very pleased. I can't compare it to other mulchers, so it may not be the best, but it seems to be good enough for me. It sure does save a lot of time.