Walker Mower Belt Question/info

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LJ lawn, May 9, 2002.

1. LJ lawn

LJ lawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

does anyone know of or use different belt manufacturers/brands on their walker hydro and drive belts? any specific part #'s from like GATES ,GOODYEAR,DAYCO. etc. i'm looking for AFTERMARKET #'S NOT WALKER PART #'s. any info would be appreciated. thanks.

2. BigJim

BigJim LawnSite Senior Member

Also how many hours you guys getting out of your Walker main drive belt,was talking with 3 other Walker drivers the other day and the average in this area is 40-150 Hours ,is that around your averages?.We were also wondering if theres another aftermarket belt thats longerlasting?.

3. Cleve

Cleve LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Rockmart, GA

My Walker is a '94 Diesel and the main drive belt is the triple groove type. That belt is custom made for Walker. All the other belts can be crossed over to other manufacturers and most of mine came from Grainger. Sorry that I don't have the numbers right now but I'll try to post them later (after I find my cross reference sheet that I made up a couple years ago). You are right about the 40 to 150 hour range on the main belt. Some just seem to last longer. I'm sure it depends a lot on how the lever is engaged and at what rpms. I generally try to engage at as low rpm as I can without stopping the engine. Belt seems to last a little longer that way.
    I do try to the "notched" version on all the other belts. They seem to last a little longer with those.
    Cleve.

4. Cleve

Cleve LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Rockmart, GA

Found my crossover list. And keep in mind these are for my Walker. The newer models may have different belts.
    The main PTO belt on mine is Walker part no. 7230 and is a Gates Power Band (special made for Walker). I did find a Gates made with the "cog" design but it is about 1/16" shorter than the Walker belt and didn't work well when I tried it. I believe after the pulleys wear a little it will fit fine. I believe the newer models use the "micro-groove" type belt. Would like to change to it but just don't want to spend the money.
    Engine Ground Drive: Walker #7231, Gates #3VX335.
    Ground Drive: Walker #7232, Gates #A45.
    Blower: Walker #7234, Gates #3VX280.
    Cleve.

5. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

0 - 150 hrs on a drive belt? That is terrible. I have a 1998 MT with the 20hp Kohler. It has 489 hrs on it and all the belts still look like new. You have got to be doing something wrong if that is all the life wou are getting on any belt. We always throttle down before engaging the pto and then pull up on lever slowly so there is no sharp jerk on the belt. We engage ours a lot too, as we do about 12 lawns /day, 5 days a week with it.:)

6. Brickman

Brickman LawnSite Bronze Member

I think my belt has a Gates number on it, even tho I am buying from the Walker dealer. I go thru one PTO belt a season. About this time of the year I always have to change. I will be putting a new one on tomorrow morning before mowing. I have a 1999 with 1000 hrs. So what is that like 333 hours on a belt. I usually engage at half throttle, with a 52 inch deck maybe a little higher to prevent stalls.

7. LJ lawn

LJ lawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

my machine is a 93 diesel with the speed up pulley. i keep frying the HYDRO belt.i know the pulleys are probably shot but for now i'll just keep throwing belts on it .CLEVE: do you have the speed up pulley on yours? all other belts should be the same as mine.

8. captdevo

captdevo LawnSite Senior Member

if you're fraying belts, you have a burr on your pulleys or they are miss aligned.

9. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

Any one having belt problems should check the idler or jack shaft pullyes to see if the bearings are turning free. I got water in mine one time and ended up changing all my pullyes because the bearings rusted and siezed causeing the belts to slip and smoke.

I change mine every year after spring clean-ups because the sand and grit gets embeded in the belts and will cause slippage and extra wear on the pullyes. I use Walker belts from the dealer. Last year I put on around 900 hours with no belt trouble.

Gene

10. theplantdoctor

theplantdoctor LawnSite Member

I would not recommend the Gates #A45. I tried it and it DOES NOT LAST! It can't take bending backwards over the idler pulley. Instead get the Gates "PoweRated #6848". It is the same belt but it has kevlar in it and is made for the application. A little more money, but it lasts a long time. I think we only got about 50 hours out of the A45.:)

Ken